picky eater -- how do i lose weight?

Options
Due to allergies and preference, my diet contains mostly meat and carbohydrates and dairy...i am allergic to many fruits and gag like a child at vegetables. how do i get proper nutrition?

i have cut out sugar, junk foods, pop and i have incorporated exercise with no luck...i have even gone to low fat, etc.

i am getting discouraged. my husband changed a few things and lost 10 pounds and i seem to find it and attach it to body...

Replies

• pomphohi
    Options
    Due to allergies and preference, my diet contains mostly meat and carbohydrates and dairy...i am allergic to many fruits and gag like a child at vegetables. how do i get proper nutrition?

i have cut out sugar, junk foods, pop and i have incorporated exercise with no luck...i have even gone to low fat, etc.

i am getting discouraged. my husband changed a few things and lost 10 pounds and i seem to find it and attach it to body...
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I suggest seeing a nutritionist. They can make suggestions and maybe even teach you to trick yourself into liking these things you say you gag at. I used to gag at spinach and now I love it!

You will find that a lot of gyms provide a nutritionist for their memebers.

:flowerforyou:
    Good luck!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried V8 juice?

Make sure that you get one without fruits! Don't want you to look like Hitch or anything!! :tongue:
  • runawaybride
    runawaybride Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but there is this cookbook you should check out and see what you think. I won't go into detail too much ....it is called Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. It incorporates veggie purees into meals and you cannot taste them and that way you still get in your veggies. It is very health conscious.

Let me know!!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of a nutritionist. If you don't like fruits, and don't like veggies, I'm kind of at a loss. Fruits and veggies are an important part of a diet. I would be lost without them. I'm sure I could find a way around it (suppliments, and there must be SOMETHING in the Fruits and Veggies range that you aren't allergic to and you like), but I don't have the time right now to do the research. I'm slammed at work this week. In fact, just popping onto MFP every 1/2 hour or so is a little risky (even though I run the network).

Infact I'm sitting here (on my lunch 15 minutes) eating a salad consisting of broccoli, purpple onion, red peppers, green peppers, cucumber, mushrooms, black beans, lean chicken breast, and lite extra virgian olive oil and vinegar. Yummy, but if I couldn't have one of these a day, I'd be just plain off center.
  • lparncutt
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are so important in nutrition. Since you can't have fruit, I second the Jessica Sienfeld book. My nephew is the pickiest eater I have ever seen (he is 7). My sister-in-law bought this and now he eats all kinds of veggies and has no idea. I have had some of these recepies and you can't taste the veggies.
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Def go for a nutritionist if you can't find a way to incorporate fruits and veggies in your diet.
    Also recommend V8.
    Also, maybe your exercise routine was to vigorous for a beginner? Or maybe ill-advised?
    Try working with a trainer, most gyms offer 2 or 3 visits to set you up with a work out routine, sometimes its even free with sign up.
    It's def worth a try.
  • Shellie1069
    Options
    My Husband is a fairly picky eater when it comes to veggies if it is green he generally wont eat it so I have found that if you dice up things like zucchini or tomatoes and mix them with things (example in speghitti sauce) and use lots of seasonings like garlic and Cheyanne pepper, dried basil etc. you can mask the flavor of the veggies and sneak them past the taste buds...
    Out of sight out of mind sort of thing :smile:
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I didn't like a lot of fruits and veggies but I decided that if I was really going to get healthy and make some changes I needed to open my mind and try them again, maybe prepared in different ways. I am now eating blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, green peppers and even.... MUSHROOMS! I never thought it was possible. And i'm actually really enjoying them.

Ooo... try a gardenburger! They are so good and have a ton of healthy stuff in them!