Sore ankle - Please help

Options
Steph_135
Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
I was running the Couch to 5k running program until week 3, when it called for two 3 minute runs. During the runs, I seemed to hurt my ankle, and it was really bad the next morning. Since then, it's been pretty good, but the little achy pain won't go away, and if I walk (fast), or do Zumba, it starts to act up again.

I can totally stand on it, and it doesn't much bother me at other times of the day, except when doing activity.

I noticed when I walk, that my ankle is a little strange. It doesn't "pop" out, but it seems to be "looser" than my other ankle, and can more easily "pop" away from my body than the other one.

Does anyone know what this is, or what I can do to help it? I've been icing it a lot, and keeping it up when it gets sore. I might go to the doctor, but I don't think it's that serious... I just want it to go away, cause that was about 2-3 weeks ago when I ran last...

Replies

• 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    do you know how it was injured? a twist or turn perhaps? It sounds like soft tissue injury. the best cure at this time is support. if you have a walmart find an ankle brace with side stabilizers. they will let your work out but prevent the movement that creates ankle sprain
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If it is on the outside of your ankle, it's most likely a small sprain. If on the inside, under or around the ankle bone, it's a tendon injury (very common in new runners). Either way, it's best you see a physio.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    do you know how it was injured? a twist or turn perhaps? It sounds like soft tissue injury. the best cure at this time is support. if you have a walmart find an ankle brace with side stabilizers. they will let your work out but prevent the movement that creates ankle sprain
    6Janelle13... Thanks for the tip! I had a brace on it a couple days ago, and it actually felt a lot better! I'll go back and put it back on right away. I don't think I twisted or turned it weird. It just started to get sore during my running interval, so I stopped running.
    If it is on the outside of your ankle, it's most likely a small sprain. If on the inside, under or around the ankle bone, it's a tendon injury (very common in new runners). Either way, it's best you see a physio.
    fteale... Thanks. It's closer to the ankle bone (like below and slightly to the front of the bone). I guess I'll take it to the doctor. Thanks again.