Question for weight lifters!!

Options
I have been lifting weights on a regular basis for about 3 months now. I'm bench pressing up to 105 but I can't seem to get higher. One of the main reasons is my right shoulder is so much weaker than my left. I am right handed and I don't know if that has anything to do with it. When I get 105 on the bar I try to do it at least 5x but after the third one my left arm can still push but my right shoulder is just collapsing. Should I just keep trying or try to work out my right shoulder more than the left until it catches up or what? I love lifting and feeling like Zena warrior princess!!

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    try doing shoulder shrugs 3x's a week light to heavy reps...it may be a lat problem...strengthen those and it may help you with lifting...hope this helps...oh and i say keep going, are you getting plenty of protein after lifting for recovery?
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Patience Warrior Princess, patience. When your arm starts to give, drop weight and continue. It will catch up in time.

Edit to add- You don't have a weak arm, you have a strong arm. It's normal.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This would be my 2 cents. Keep lifting, but start to pyramid your weight on the bench. This means you should do 3 sets at different weights. I like to start light and work my way up. 1st set lightest, 2nd heavier, 3rd Heaviest. The other way you could do it is by simply reversing it. If you can do 105 at 5 reps try doing one of your sets at a higher weight (115 perhaps) and try to do 3 reps. When that gets easier add weight. When that gets easier add reps. Here's the breakdown

1st Set = 5 reps at 105
    2nd set = 3 reps at 115
    3rd set = 5 reps at 105

When that second set gets easier then add a rep until you are at 5 reps for all 3 sets. When you are at 5 reps for all 3 sets try this

1st set = 5 reps at 115
    2nd set = 5 reps at 115
    3rd set = 5 reps at 105

When that gets easier then simply start adding reps to each set. You don't have to do 5 reps... you could do 3 or 4 until you are able to do 5 reps for 3 sets. It is also important that you get a spotter to help you out for a couple of reasons.

1) To avoid injury
    2) To "assist" with that last set. While they might be helping just a little it will get you to complete the rep and help motivate.

Another simple thing to remember is that high weight and low reps builds strength. Low weight and high reps builds endurance. Also make sure you are getting enough protein to help your muscles recover and grow. Good luck.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I guess patience and continuing is the key. I do pyramid my weights and 85-95-105 is my last and highest weight and I do use a spotter. I'm probably not getting enough protein and that's one thing I know I need to work on. I'll try the shoulder shrugs and patience, patience, patience. @koosdel-thanks for pointing out my strengths as I always look at my weakness!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    There is good everywhere, we just gotta find it.