getting frusterated

Options
Just finished day 3 of level 2 of JM 30 DS - i actually feel thicker then I did before - Before I started exercising I felt thinner was losing weight - what is this about??????????

Replies

• timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    If you werent exercising before and youre just starting out, your gaining muscle (weighs more than fat). If you keep it up, it will boost your metabolism and youll begin to lose. Stick with it.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! I have ALWAYS wondered about that!! I could not figure it out either. Talk about discouraging... I hope it's muscle and then reduces... I am going to watch this post for a while to see the answers from others!!! Thanks for posting!!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    u do realize that your calorie intake is in the starvation mode territory everyday for at least the past week i looked back (and maybe longer if i continued to go back)... if u r stalling ur weight loss, or gaining, it could be because of muscle, but it also could be because you need to eat in order to lose, its about eating healthy and doing something u can do for the rest of ur life, not cutting back as much as possible to eat the least..

starvation mode is considered anything less than 1200net calories a day, and i saw multiple days where you had 700+calories left to eat (meaning you only ate 500calories those days..)

**starvation mode means your body holds onto everything it eats and even if u eat healthy food it can not come out of starvation mode until you give it enough calories to survive. I have 3friends that were doing this---not eating enough net cal's and were all stalled not knowing y.. i told them to eat more and they started losing alot of weight quickly. im not saying im right and your wrong, but it is very likely in your sitatution.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It's muscle...once that part is over you'll start to drop pounds without the flab...I'm finally starting to see just a teeny weeny bit of definition in my shoulders...a little more in the legs and thighs. Anyway, I'm sure that's what it is.:huh:
  • RyonsLions2
    Options
    I looked at your pictures... you look great!! If I was where you are then I would have obtained my goal I think!!! As a matter of fact, when your pictures came up of the ab shots on your profile... Jillian Michaels was on the ad next to it and you guys looked very similar!!! At least in my perception.... :0) Keep up the good work!!
  • dlange64
    dlange64 Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree , you have to eat and get your metabolism going.... eat healthy tho.... and if your gaining, it is probably muscle.... I was thinking the same thing when I started exercising , and then one day I put my belt on when I was getting ready to go someplace and I had actually lost an inch in my waist, I went down a notch in my belt !! So, don't give up, keep going and you will see results ... but you dont want to lose too fast.... it should only be 1 to 2 lbs a week... just keep up your good work.... it will pay off.
  • btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! Working out has sooo many wonderful benefits for you body regardless of a thinner shape! While you are resting, muscle burns more calories than fat does. More muscle = burning more calories without even trying! It benefits your brain, your heart, your everything. It might be frustrating for now but stick with it- I promise you'll like how you look AND feel more if you do! Good luck :)
  • RyonsLions2
    Options
    u do realize that your calorie intake is in the starvation mode territory everyday for at least the past week i looked back (and maybe longer if i continued to go back)... if u r stalling ur weight loss, or gaining, it could be because of muscle, but it also could be because you need to eat in order to lose, its about eating healthy and doing something u can do for the rest of ur life, not cutting back as much as possible to eat the least..

starvation mode is considered anything less than 1200net calories a day, and i saw multiple days where you had 700+calories left to eat (meaning you only ate 500calories those days..)

Who was she referring to?? I looked back on your diary and it was usually 740 and up consumed calories....
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Who was she referring to?? I looked back on your diary and it was usually 740 and up consumed calories....

the majority of her days were less than the recommended 1200.

and i still think you are burning more than your HRM estimates doing the shred. you might benifit from increasing your calories to 1200-1400. I know it's hard to wrap your mind around eating more to lose weight, but it does work for a lot of ppl. I stalled out for a while when i was only eating b/w 1100-1200 doing the JM workouts. When I went up to 1400-1500 i lost 2 pounds the first week!

also, some of your food choices aren't the best. you might want to try to eat more 'whole' foods and less packaged and processed foods. you will find that you will be able to eat more and still be within your calories.

hth
  • shug458
    shug458 Posts: 99
    Options
    I will admit that my food choices this week haven't been the smartest - but I am definatly always under my calories - the problem is if I eat 1200 or more calories I gain weight - I know for a lot of people eating more works but not me for some reason. I swear if I look at food I gain weight.
    Better food choices starting today even though I'm under my calories I know i need to make better choices
  • shellgib
    shellgib Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    there might be a correlation b/w eating more calories of the wrong food and gaining versus eating more calories of the right foods and losing. it's such a balance and it's often difficult to find what works for you. but you know that you are doing the right thing with the workouts, and making better food choices will help. start by making small changes at a time and see what works. you are doing awesome!