What is the best excercize for a woman 33 that is over 300lb

Options

Replies

• 000angie000
    000angie000 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I do not have any issues!! So blessed with that but in my enthusiasm in this journey I do not want to create any!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and when I joined this site I weighed over 300 pounds. Making small changes, being consistent about exercise--even if you can only do 10 minutes at a time at first--and logging on here every day for encouragement and support will help you win the battle against the scale.
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the BEST Part of your Life!!

Jeannie

Congrats Jeannie!!! Awesome job!!! You rock my dear and very good advice!
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    I LOVE my Water Aerobics classes!! The water gives you great resistance but also creates a low impact workout. I find myself sweating like crazy even in the water!! Good luck to you!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Swimming or just walking in the water is a great way to start. If not, then walking. Just remember to increase gradually and to take it slowly. This is a marathon not a sprint. Good luck and welcome to the site.:bigsmile:
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    Find something that you can enjoy so you don't feel like it is such a chore. I like walking (outside) because it gives me time to get out of our busy house and clear my head. I also like to play Just Dance with my kids-trying to beat my daughter is TOUGH! The Leslie Sansone videos are great and she has one for every level. When you start being able to do more and more-you will want to push yourself.

You will find all kinds of support and great advice on MFP. You took the first step already...heres to a whole lot more:)
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I first started here I was 307lbs at 31. I have bad knees so I thought everything was impossible! But I got on my treadmill one day and was huffing and puffing at 1.8mph..but I did it just for 10 minutes a day. Then my husband got me resistant bands and I would use those..maybe 5 mins a day. Slowly I started to increase my time and speed..Now I've gotten to the point of where I'm actually challenging and pushing myself harder then I thought I ever could. I've joined a gym and I warm up with 3mph and then start running on a treadmill..I now work out using free weights and the circuit they offer at the gym. But I know that the best thing I did was started slow and worked my way up. Since January of this year I have lost 41lbs. And it was all from eating right..drinking tons of water..and moving slowly and working my way up to where I am today.
    So go slow ..find out what works for your body. Good Luck Girly!! You can totally do this!!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    walk!!! it's good for u and u will lose weight!!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Thank yall soo much! I am seriously trying not to cry!! I have never found such a supportive place to lose weight! In the past I would get discouraged and that lead to eating. Then more discouragement and more eating... But I think this is it.... The Best Part of my Life. Love it!!!

that's great!!! we are all here for the same reason! I love it and i think you will too!! good luck on your journey! believe and u shall achieve!!!
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm a man, and didn't quite top three. But I just wanted to congratulate you on starting.
    I'm sure you'll get it, the exercise that is pretty universal, is the mental
    flexibility and strength to be positive. As, in all day today I didn't get my planned
    fitness in, my food choices slipped, other things are off kilter, etc, etc. but
    I am going to sleep and in the morning I'm going to start on tomorrows fitness
    plan and tomorrow good food choices.

Another way of putting it is, make your very next choice after you read my post a good
    choice. After a slip-up, make your very next choice a good one. After an unexpected
    detour make your very next choice a good one. Exercise this skill in making good
    choices gives me, perhaps everybody, the ability to make good choices most of the
    time. And that "making good choices most of the time," is what we all will be doing
    when we are fit and healthy. It is the secret. It is the skill to exercise over and
    over until it is easy and second nature.

Getting support here is a good choice. :)
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position as you and was worried about injuring myself. I started walking on the treadmill, but had to stop because I discovered I have plantar faciitis. So, I moved to the ellipitcal and love it! It is low impact to your feet, ankles and knees and its a really great workout. I started at 20 minutes and worked my way up to 60 minutes over a 2 month period.
  • suzannekk
    suzannekk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have 100+ to lose.
    I have started using my daughter's Wii at night after she goes to bed. She has a program called "Just Dance." You can do low impact aerobic type dancing, all by yourself, your cardio is accomplished, no one sees you. Today I walked 16 minutes (it's chilly today) and then danced all by myself, and burned over 300 calories for the day.
    You can do this!
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    you could start out just by walking. Leslie Sansone has a whole mess of stuff designed around walking. Good for you for wanting to take charge of your health. Good luck on your journey!

I absolutely agree. This is what I've been doing. I started out just doing Leslie's dvds then added walking around a track. Good luck. You CAN do this!
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! I was there with you but also have severe arthritis in one ankle and knee and back pain because I didn't "get it" nearly as soon as you have. Congratulations for starting this journey so you have even more of your life ahead of you to enjoy!!! Walking wasn't an option I chose because of the aches and pains it would cause but the recumbent bike was a great start for me. It doesn't burn as many calories as some other exercises but it didn't hurt either :happy: I moved from the bike to the elliptical and have to admit, I still have a love/hate relationship with it. The love part is winning out though because I can see the results! I have to admit when I first started it was not for very long at a time...4 or 5 minutes if I remember. Whatever you decide to do...find something you enjoy and maybe a friend to go along with you if you can. Keep posting and coming to the boards for motivation and support. You will find SO MANY supportive people and many who have walked in our shoes. Congrats again for starting your journey while you are still young!!
    Cathy
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I am 53 and when I joined this site I weighed over 300 pounds. Making small changes, being consistent about exercise--even if you can only do 10 minutes at a time at first--and logging on here every day for encouragement and support will help you win the battle against the scale.
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the BEST Part of your Life!!

Jeannie

Wow, good for you and how inspiring!!
  • spennato
    spennato Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Walk!! Anywhere and everywhere. If you go to the gym walk at your pace until you are Comfortable enough to increase speed and distance. Also try parking further when you grocery shop, and using steps instead of elevators or escalators. Every little bit helps!!:smile:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Defiitely just get out there and walk, each day going a little further and little faster. You will be amazed at your progress. But also consider spending time perfecting your nutrition as well. Take time to change your relationship with food, try to think of food as fuel and not as pleasure. Once you drop some weight, your body will tell you whn it is ready for more. This is what happened to me. I started at 275, and did not exercise at all for 2 months, when I dropped 40 pounds and my body was screaming at me to start exercise. And then at 4 months when I dropped 60 pounds my body knew it was time for weights. My body really was talking to me.
  • 000angie000
    Options
    Thank You so much everyone!! I am truly inspired by all your stories. I have realized it is not one giant leap but many baby steps. This is for the rest of my life and not just a weight I want to achieve. All of the advice has been great. I actually have the walking DVD and a pool and walking trails near by. I think I will just go and do what strikes my fancy that day... I may go jump in the pool right now.... If it isn't too cold that is :). Again thanks!!
  • 000angie000
    Options
    How did u lose soo fast?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    How did u lose soo fast?

If you hit quote and then type your question at the bottom, then the person will know who you are referring to or you can send them a message because everyone does not come back to cheack their posts.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I started with 5 minute walks on the treadmill, but I found it mind numbingly boring, So I moved over to the stationary bike -- for the first week, I huffed and puffed for 5-10 minutes at a time. THe next week, I bumped it up to 10-15 minutes.... huffing and puffing the whole time. It's now 3-1/2 months later, I get on the bike for 60 minute sessions, peddling at an average of 92-98 RPM, so a decent pace. I sweat like a garden hose, but my breathing is regular and my heart rate is a nice constant 112-119. To give my butt callouses a break, I've started on the elliptical. I'm now doing 30 minute sessions and then 30 mins on the bike.

You're going to feel VERY eager to get to work and lose more weight, but unfortunately, at this beginning stage, your own body is going to be fighting you. You CAN win the fight though. Just remember you have to build up your strength, endurance and wind when working out., Start SLOW..... your body isn't used to working out. You're going to have to teach your body to cooperate. But you can definitely do it. Patience and dedication will win in the long run.