HRM--What one to buy?

Options
I am looking into buying a HRM to count the calories I burn in a workout to try and get a more accurate count of how many calories I actually burn in a workout. I am not sure which 1 I should buy or if there is a certain brand I should get. I am not looking to spend over 80 for one.

Also, I was wondering when I run on the treadmill, it says my target heart rate should be between 124 to 133. My heart rate normally is in the 170s low 180s when I run for a while. I am wondering if this is bad? Or is it suppose to go up like that? After I get down running I do walk for a while to lower my heart rate down.

Replies

• jhill101671
    Options
    Your target heart rate all depends on your age. Check out the American Heart Association's webpage. They have the best and most accurate information on heart rates.

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4736
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    How do you figure your target heart rate to be 124-133? I'm 39 (quite a bit older than you) and my target heart rate is 127-154. The Mayo Clinic calculator estimates your target rate to be 139-168. Individual heart rate ranges can vary +/- 20 bpm in either direction, so it's possible the 170's could be just right for you.

This is the calculator I used: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm a big fan of heart rate monitors and have used a few models over the past few years. My favorite is the Polar brand. I've found Polars to be a lot more accurate in calorie calculation than Garmin or Timex.

If you're looking for a bare bones basic one, there's the Polar FT1:

http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft1.html

Max heart rate is actually genetically determined. None of the formulas are extremely accurate. The only way to truly know is to get yourself tested in a lab. Though the calculation developed by Sally Edwards is pretty decent:

http://www.howtobefit.com/determine-maximum-heart-rate.htm

When your heart rate gets up to the 170s and 180s, how do you feel? Can you talk at all? Do you feel nauseous afterwards?
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I got the target heart rate range off the treadmill. Probably not the most accurate place to obtain heart rate range. I never have worked out before until recently. And now I only do cardio. I am going to start lifting weights in two weeks.

When my heart rate gets up to 170 to 180 I can keep on running for a little while. It is a weird feeling--like I need to stop but if feels good so I keep on running.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I know a lot of people on here have the FT7 and say that they like it alot. It runs around $109.95 and if you find online coupon codes you may be able to save more off the price of the HRM.

I just purchased a Polar FT40 the other day with free shipping and it arrived overnight from heartratemonitors dot com (I have used them in the past for pedometers) and also found an $10.00 off total online code as well to help with the price of the HRM.......

I got it on sale plus the $10.00 off so it was around $139.95
    I looked on Amazon and other places as well last week and they were all in the same ballpark for the original price of the HRM before my $10.00 discount.

Now I just have to sit down and read the manual to program it. The FT-40 has the Polar Fitness test which measures your aerobic fitness at rest and tells you your progress.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I got the target heart rate range off the treadmill. Probably not the most accurate place to obtain heart rate range. I never have worked out before until recently. And now I only do cardio. I am going to start lifting weights in two weeks.

When my heart rate gets up to 170 to 180 I can keep on running for a little while. It is a weird feeling--like I need to stop but if feels good so I keep on running.

So when you use the treadmill, you're getting your heart rate by holding the metal strips?

Just take it easy when pushing your heart rate that high. A good training program is where you do one or two hard sessions a week and the rest of the sessions are easy. It gives your body a chance to recover.
  • nephie
    nephie Posts: 4
    Options
    Polar makes good ones, their site is also helful at figuring out which one to buy. Depending on what features you want. I have a couple of polar HRMs that work great for regular gym workouts. But if you're planning on running outdoors and keep track of your pace, distance and calories then you'll want to go for maybe a Garmin, although they don't come cheap. I'd suggest you go to http://www.roadrunnersports.com/
    search under gear and look at all the popular monitors available by features you want.

I personally use a polar for indoor gym activities and a garmin for races and outdoor running.
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

So when you use the treadmill, you're getting your heart rate by holding the metal strips?

Just take it easy when pushing your heart rate that high. A good training program is where you do one or two hard sessions a week and the rest of the sessions are easy. It gives your body a chance to recover.

Yes I do use the metal things to check my heart rate. Thanks for all the info!