To Sauna or Not

Options
so i just noticed that the gym that i go to has a sauna/steam room. i have never used this before since i know it will be very hot and i have a hard time breathing in hot air, idk if this is common or not. but i was just wondering if anyone here uses it and do you like it? and if i were to try it what should i do? do i need to shower or something before getting in? and do i shower when coming out? any feedback would be appreciated.

p.s. add me. it's always good to make new friends and support is great! :)

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    most have a shower to use right before going in
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    The sauna and the steam room are two different rooms. One is warm heat and one is cool heat. I don't remember which is which but you could ask at the gym front desk.
  • Ty_1227
    Ty_1227 Posts: 40
    Options
    I personally love the sauna. I haven't used one since I used to work out at my campus gym during my undergrad but it was always REALLY relaxing after a workout or after rugby practice. I only ever had to shower beforehand when I came in from rugby covered in mud, lol for obvious reasons, if I was just sweaty from weight lifting or w/e I always went in before showering. Some gyms may be more stringent than others.

As for the benefits, I only ever had issues breathing in the dry saunas and I'm asthmatic. Many have temp regulators which is nice if you're the only one in their. In many ways it works as a nice relaxer / massage, helps circulation after working out, and in my case eased some of the pain in my lungs that crept in if my asthma was worse that day. Just be sure to really rehydrate afterwards since you will continue to sweat.

Last fun tip, in the mornings I started a habit of 10 mins of sauna after a good cardio work out, quick rinse in the shower in luke warm water (beware it will FEEL cold), and then hop back in the sauna for another 10 - 15 mins before my final shower. It's weird, I know but I found it really refreshing.