Sugar and Fruit

scmcgee
scmcgee Posts: 165
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
So I have added my sugar intake to my food diary and I think I am getting too much sugar from Fruit. I like grapes, peaches and pears but this as put my sugar intake over everyday. Since I have increased my fruit intake this week, I have noticed I am not going down on the scales. What do you guys think? Should I try to avoid additional sugar in fruits and eat more vegatables and salads?

Replies

• snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    I may have the same problem as you.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    I don't worry about the sugar in fruit, I just count it in my calories. I try to stay away from refined sugars, those are EVIL! Plus you get so many nutrients and fiber with the fruit, it kinda evens it out.
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    That Sugar allowance is always a problem for me as well. It seems so low for a person who likes fruit!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    the sugar in fruit is a healthy sugar that your body needs. I was talking to my dad about this the other day. your body needs and uses the sugar from fruit, it does not need refined sugar which it turns straight into fat. if you take in too much natural/healthy sugar your body gets rid of it by way of the restroom.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    A carb is a carb is a carb. Yeah, yeah, you're better off eating 4 apples (sugar, fiber, vitamins) than one donut (sugar, flour, fat), but it's still a carbohydrate.
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    That is good advice. Thank you, Sharon
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    A carb is a carb is a carb. Yeah, yeah, you're better off eating 4 apples (sugar, fiber, vitamins) than one donut (sugar, flour, fat), but it's still a carbohydrate.
    Was going to say all of this. Takes about 2 seconds for your GI tract to convert "starch" into sugar.
  • guidnca
    guidnca Posts: 64
    Fruit is sugar, but it has the added benefit of fiber and other nutrituion. The good thing about the fiber provides a way for the body to use the sugar.

I was talking with my nutrituionist the other day and she did not seem concerned with me eating 3 to 4 fruits a day which shoots my sugars way over the limit. I justify it to myself...it is not a cookie.

That being said, finding more vegetables to eat is a practice that would be good for me. I am really stuck with two snack veggies carrots and celery. Any other ideas?
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    That being said, finding more vegetables to eat is a practice that would be good for me. I am really stuck with two snack veggies carrots and celery. Any other ideas?

I like the bags of broccoli and cauliflower. If you want to kick it up a notch, a couple tablespoons of hummus or cottage cheese with balsamic vinegar can be a nutritious addition. Jicama is also quite good for dipping.

I also have decided that it is OK to have cooked vegetables as a snack. I buy frozen vegetables because they are lower in sodium than canned and there is less risk of them going bad before I eat them compared with fresh. I can just pour some in a bowl, microwave and voila. Snack! A bowl of green beans with a little curry powder is great. There are some great blends out there too - watch out for the ones with sauces and corn, though!
This discussion has been closed.