Random question re: salt intake

Options
So, I have been frustrated the last week or so b/c the scale isn't really budging. Tonight I was looking at my food diary and noticed that I am often going over my sodium intake by 500-700.... Oops! How much sodium is enough to cause you to retain water? Could this be really having an impact on weight loss??

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    So, I have been frustrated the last week or so b/c the scale isn't really budging. Tonight I was looking at my food diary and noticed that I am often going over my sodium intake by 500-700.... Oops! How much sodium is enough to cause you to retain water? Could this be really having an impact on weight loss??

Absolutely. I hit a plateau not too long ago with my weight loss. Was stuck at one weight for 2 weeks striaght. I cut my sodium intake and boosted the water intake, and shazam, plateau gone. Lost 3 lbs that week. It really makes a big difference.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    While sodium is critical for basic cell function, too much has consequences that go far beyond the effect on the scale. There are some great explanations in this thread that may help you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/217891-give-me-the-straight-dope-about-sodium
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    too much sodium can lead to water retention, not to mention a whole other slew of health problems. MFP has the diary set at 2500mgs which is actually too high. It is best to aim for no more than 1500mg/ day if you can.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options

YES!!
    Use the search function and type in sodium - you'll find lots of threads with advice on limiting sodium and why you should :)
  • Ty_1227
    Ty_1227 Posts: 40
    Options
    It's a surprisingly big factor for a lot of people, especially those who have hit a plateau. Unfortunately, sodium is a hidden beast in nearly every processed food products. Diet drinks and sodas are a big culprit for this when people are trying to lose weight but hold on to something tasty / familiar because they contain 0 calories and people often don't read any further down the label. Diet sodas do not = water by any means.

Also, it's not monitored here on MFP but it's important to remember the sodium and potassium work in tandem and then even the best of us are usually deficient when it comes to potassium. Before you grab a banana to fix this grab a lentil (chickpeas, dried peas, etc) not only are they a great source of potassium, way more than bananas, but they are also high in dietary fibers, iron, calcium, the works. Electrolytes are what keeps much of our bodies tickin, but they need to be balanced!
  • chryciw
    chryciw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Dang! Since I joined MFP 3 weeks ago I've been so focused on my net calories I haven't really been paying attention to the other columns. Time to adjust!

Thanks for the info... I really appreciate it!