Does eating bread make anyone else hungrier?

Options
REman
REman Posts: 48 Member
When I first started using MFP, I immediately dropped bread because I noticed how many calories are in it. Now, about 6 months later, I found a type of bread with only 50 cals per slice, Nature's Own. I've been eating it, and because I've gone so long without it, I'm able to clearly see how my body reacts to it. Quite frankly, I feel it makes me hungrier.

Has anyone else experienced this? I feel as if you won't really know unless you go without it for a long time and start eating it again, otherwise you won't have a basis for comparison.

Replies

• Bexster88
    Bexster88 Posts: 35
    Options
    Eating pasta does that for me. I can eat a huge bowl and 30 minutes later my stomach trys to tell me it's hungry again.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because it spikes your insulin? No, that couldn't be it - whole grains wouldn't do that. . . . hm. . interesting theory: I hope someone has an answer.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In sandwiches it doesn't make me hungrier. But yesterday and today I've been eating some La Brea Bakery Italian bread (so yummy!) and it makes me hungrier for more bread because as I said, it's SO YUMMY!

Just make sure you're eating good, real whole grain bread and the fiber should help you feel a little fuller. Refined carbs will definitely make you hungrier.
  • gimedatnow
    gimedatnow Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ohmygosh, I know exactly what you mean! Both whole wheat and white bread have super high glycemic indexes, i.e. they cause blood sugar to spike. The insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.

Plus, I don't know about you, but bread is NOT at all filling for me. I could eat a whole loaf a day (if I let myself... which sometimes I do... then regret.) :P
  • hoosiermama100
    Options
    I have that issue with pasta and I only eat 100% whole wheat pasta so I can't figure it out. I can eat, eat, eat that stuff and never feel full and after I eat a bunch about 20-30 minutes later I'm very hungry (as in physical hunger). Hmmm...interesting to see what others have to share about this.
  • maorifulla
    Options
    If i eat white bread which is not very often, then i can eat a ton of it, but i find the grainy breads full me up fast.
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Carbs will do that. Eating with a good protein will help. I have to steer clear of nearly any bread except for high fiber/low carb wraps. Joseph's mini pitas have 45 calories... lots of fiber... 4 net carbs.. and does not have the negative effects.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because it spikes your insulin? No, that couldn't be it - whole grains wouldn't do that. . . . hm. . interesting theory: I hope someone has an answer.

Actually I believe you hit the nail on the head. I avoid pasta and starches for this reason. I am never hungry because I eat 6 meals a day each being carb/protein balanced--but no starches, just lots of veggies and lean protein. This keeps my blood sugars level all day long which keeps me from having cravings and feeling hungry.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I have issues with breads and starches...they fill me up for a short time then go *POOF* like sushi, I'll be stuffed then the rice vanishes. Same thing with pasta and breads...potatoes...

I learned through doing various food tests that I'm a protein person. My body likes hearty proteins and veggies, not a lot of carbs.

If you are finding yourself feeling hungry after bread, then limit the amount you eat. Regardless of what possible health benefits there may be in the bread, you can get fiber and nutrients elsewhere without the hunger side effect.
  • REman
    Options
    Whoa. Glad to hear I'm not insane. I think I'm going to finish off this loaf and go back to being breadless. Thanks for the pita suggestion, too!
  • REman
    Options
    You're right, Tropical Kitty. Even though it's whole grain/whole wheat bread, it's still processed. I've found the fiber in an apple or other natural source keeps the hunger away far longer than bread.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    Try the Natures Own Double Fiber! When I eat white flour bread I go carb crazy. Not so much with the wheat breads, and even less with the double fiber. They also have a sugar free wheat that is pretty good. I like this brand of bread because it isn't the extra thin sliced stuff like other brands have for their "light" bread. When I eat the Natures Own I feel like I am eatting a regular slice of bread. It toasts up nice too, crispy on the outside without being dried out and hard. I really like the heavy dense multigrain bread, but have yet to find one that is less than 80 cals for a regular sized slice.
  • GoddessG
    GoddessG Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If I eat a single sandwich (2 sl bread), I immediately need a nap. When I wake up, I'm famished.

If I eat a cookie, I'm hungry in 10 minutes.

If I eat a serving of pasta, I am hungry again in about 2 hours.

For me, bread is kind of like Chinese food. The more I eat, the more I feel hungry, thus the more I eat.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    No, it doesn't make me hungrier.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Just bread by itself? Yup.
  • AliceRabbit13
    AliceRabbit13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It does, that's why I forgo it all together, hence why I stick with Paleo. I am much more satiated with protein, and for longer. It isn't about the calories, so much as it is about the type of nutrients you're taking in.

'The Paleo Solution' by Robb Wolf is a real eye opener.

:)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's why I don't eat bread anymore, or a whole lot of other carbs. Plus I feel better without it.
  • pookeyst
    Options
    There's a book called "Wheat Belly", written by William Davis who has been practicing medicine for over 30 years. I would recommend checking it out, it explains exactly why bread made with wheat or white flour makes people hungrier. You can read the reviews on Amazon, they give a good overview of what the book is about. I read it and have stopped eating wheat for about 2 weeks now, and can tell a HUGE difference in my appetite.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't get this. I have always eaten mine with some kind of protein since I was little.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I am hungrier after I eat bread. That's why I switched to Ezekiel bread, and only have it on rare occasions.