Is it even possible....

Options
to have a healthy, natural diet on food stamps?

Is it possible to have a healthy, natural diet when the only grocery store you have access to is Wal-Mart?

Is it??

Replies

• crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    most likely so far as you're able to buy lean meats, wholegrain pasta, etc
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes it is! Steer clear of the middle aisles. Shop around those. If you have to go in those get whole grain, low sodium, etc. You can do it. :happy:
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Yes, I'm not on stamps but I shop at walmart all the time. I thought most walmarts carry a large selection of fresh produce and lean meats. You don't have to go to places like Whole Foods to have a healthy diet.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    YES, because that is where I do 99% of my grocery shopping! You just have to choose the healthier foods!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Sure it is. I shop at Wal Mart all the time because they have the best prices. Will it require more reading on your part? Yep. But, really.. you'll have to spend more time reading labels anyway if you want to truly eat healthier. There are so many hidden unhealthy things in food.

As for food stamps, sure you can eat better with them. You'll have to be more creative because healthier food costs more, but you can surely do it!
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    It is possible, but it takes time to plan your meals. Like many others my budget is stretched to the max and I only have so much for food. I have found that it helps a lot to cut way back on the amount of meat (I now am using about 1/4 the amount of meat with my dinners). I substitute beans of some sort (the dried beans are less than a dollar for a bag of them, and they go a long way and have lots of protein). We have also started eating more rice because it is cheap. I also plan my meals for the week around what is on sale. I also have only the Sunday paper delivered and cut coupons (I usually use about $10 in coupons each weekand the paper delivered only costs 58 cents). I always take a shopping list with me. Also, even though it's less convienent, I buy the bricks of cheese (and shred or slice as I need it) and but whole heads of lettuce and whole fruits and veggies. The pre-cut up ones are way more expensive.

Hopefully some of these will help you. Best of luck to you :smile:
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Yes it is. I have been on food stamps before and I spend much less on groceries now than I did when I had food stamps. And I live in a small town where we only have 1 grocery store and it isn't as big as the grocery section at wal-mart. So yes, it is very possible! Just plan ahead and you should be able to do just fine.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    We have a small selection of stores in the town I live, and I am usually so surprised that walmart usually has a larger and healthier options than the local grocery store for most products. They have more whole grain pastas, more low sodium options for packaged food, and more options for greek or other yogurt, almond milk, they have flat out wraps, better granola bar selections, more veggie burgers and soy products, and other products that I like. I usually try to shop at the grocery store for most products, but find that I have to make a trip to walmart for certain things about once a month. This may not be the case if you have a better grocery store and more options for shopping, but it is the case for my town.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i pretty much only shop at walmart, and while not EVERYTHING i buy is wonderfully healthy...the majority is. so yes you can do it. I used to be on food stamps and I pretty much budget our food money the same as the state does (probably even more stringent). for 3 adults and two teenagers I spend 500 a month on food at walmart. That is pretty comprable to food stamp allowance. you just have to be willing to adjust here and there and it will be affordable. by adjust I mean, for example, I do not buy my three kids soda all month. I buy my youngest (who doesnt have a job cause he is only 15) six sodas (generic) a month. I only buy skinless boneless chicken breast, but you can buy whole chickens for much cheaper and get rid of the bones and skin yourself. generic frozen veggies and generic canned veggies. just some examples. so yes you can :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it is. Walmart sells fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains. Don't spend food stamps or money on stuff like chips, sweetened cereal, soda pop, juice, processed foods, liquor, cigarettes, lottery tickets, cable/satellite TV, expensive cell phone bills, etc. You have to decide what's important and make choices. Look around, I bet you'll find a whole host of things that aren't true necessities.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It is hard, but yes, it's possible. My mom fed a family of 6 that way for years and she had to keep our diet healthy because my dad is a diabetic. Like the others said, shop around the edges of the store. Oatmeal and raisins make cheap breakfasts. Buy frozen oj, not the canned. Frozen veggies and canned tomatoes. Buy liver a lot - it's absurdly cheap and you can find good recipes on line to make it tasty. (I know - I hated liver when I was a kid, but it really can be cooked right so that it's tasty.) Shop at the 99 cent store. Shop the damaged food shelf in the back of the store. Buy dried beans, rice, and pasta in bulk. Never buy boxed meals, frozen meals, or other premixed things like that. Buying basic ingredients and cooking from scratch is way cheaper than buying pre- or partially made food. Buy whole chickens and break them up. Take off the fat and skin yourself - it's way cheaper than buying deboned, skinless breasts. Use the bones to make stock for soup. Eat rice and beans for vegetarian meals that have complete protein in them. Look into government surplus food as well. (Though skip the velveeta. It's crap.) If you have a little land, plant a garden and grow your own veggies. Grow extra and freeze them for the winter. You can make strawberry or raspberry jam from your garden or from wild fruit. I see you're in Oklahoma - if you live in a rural or semi-rural area find patches of wild blackberries, raspberries and whatever other fruit grows wild in your area. Eat it fresh, freeze some, and make jam out of the rest. Use re-used sterilized glass jars and paraffin wax to get a sterile seal on the jam.

Good luck! It won't be this way forever.