What do you do after a "bad" day?

Options
So it's inevitable that some days we go over our calorie goals...so what does everyone do about it? I went over today's calories by almost 500 (no thanks to a few drinks and munchies after work) and I had even worked out today, earning 300 extra calories. Do you eat less the next day (cut down under 1,000 calories)? Or do you just chalk it up to a "cheat day" and move on, assuming you'll stay on track the rest of the week?

Replies

• Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    allow yourself a "cheat day" amd move on.

restricting the next day has been known to cause a nasty binge cycle.

you got this! :]
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to a cheat day, close the door on it and move on to tomorrow. I try not to dwell on it, worry about it or feel guilt about it. I simply put it behind me and vow to do better tomorrow. As long as it only happens once in awhile, you'll be fine. If you find it happening more and more often - then it's becoming a problem. But, once in awhile? No biggie.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Well I did have 2 bad days in a row last month due to being in Vegas...however I went right back on track when I came home. I didn't go below the next day just because I had those bad days. Sometimes its good to trick your body into changing up the amount of calories so you can keep on losing the weight. Its okay to do it once a blue moon but as long as you can keep on eating good wholesome foods you'll be okay :)
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    I just move on... it doesn't hurt to go over every once in a while =)
    I did it last week for a friends birthday dinner and I'm convinced it actually helped! lol
  • inertiadriftsc
    Options
    Well, if you have set your goals right then to lose weight you should have some spare calories to stay even. So today you stayed even. I generally don't freak out about it, just try to keep logging and being honest about what im eating. Sometimes a cheat day makes me feel good and as long as it doesn't happen more than about 1 every week and a half to two weeks I dont worry about it. If it starts to happen more frequently I begin to reevaluate my choices.

Good Luck!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I log everything and then move on. One day isn't going to do any harm. Unless those "cheat" days become more frequent, of course. I usually go WAY over (500+) my calorie goal once or twice per month and it doesn't cause huge weight gains. I can usually work it off over the next 7-8 days.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I like to make a plan to exercise the cals of during the week. For example, in your case I would plan on doing an extra 100 cal burn for the next 5 days. It helps me to believe that I'm still in control and will still come out even. Granted, by day 3 I don't really care anymore so I don't feel so bad. It just helps me get through the first day and a half of regret. ;)
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If I had a few of those days in a week, I'll back off my calories by just a little (maybe 100) for a few days and increase the exercise slightly (such as walking during break at work). If you only have those days occasionally, then log it and forget about it. We all deserve a treat, as a treat (meaning sometimes). If you don't usually eat close to your suggested calories, it could be that your body is needing more to keep you healthy. In that case try eating closer to your recommended.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    For me...I don't have or like a cheat day. If I have a bad day....it's just a bad day. I try not to have them.....but is does happen. You just have to move on! Tomorrow is a new day!
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I would say to just start fresh tomorrow. I looked at your diary and your total calories consumed are probably pretty close to what your maintainence level calories are. A day over once in a while shouldn't hinder weight loss.
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I remind myself that it's better to mess up 1 day by eating badly than mess up *every* day by eating badly.
  • chibacca
    chibacca Posts: 13
    Options
    3,500 calories = 1 lb
    You'd have to eat an extra 3,000 calories to see the effect of your "cheat" meal on the scale.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sometimes going over can actually help! Gotta keep your body guessing - or at least that's how the theory goes.

After a bad day, I just tell myself, "well that was delicious, and should hold me over for at least another month." Haha. So I make sure to enjoy it, and then move on to tomorrow, back on the plan.
    Maybe I'll throw in a few extra squats, the next day. Just to feel a good burn, lol.
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of you. I used to (in the past) try to make up for it but I found that often lead to a downward spiral which leads to a WTF ? i always log everything no matter how far over I go.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I like to make a plan to exercise the cals of during the week. For example, in your case I would plan on doing an extra 100 cal burn for the next 5 days. It helps me to believe that I'm still in control and will still come out even. Granted, by day 3 I don't really care anymore so I don't feel so bad. It just helps me get through the first day and a half of regret. ;)
    That is a great idea! I'm going to try to remember this bit of advice. Thanks!