Do You Have A Fitness Goal?

Options
Having a goal weight is great, but do you have a goal about "how" you want to be fit?

I see a lot of posts about people running their first 5Ks and 10Ks (hooray!), but running isn't the only sport! Have you ever wanted to try swimming 20 laps in a pool without being out of breath? Maybe hike Half Dome in Yosemite? Ride 50 miles on your bike? Walk across England?

What's your fitness goal? How are you planning on reaching it? Are you close? Do you believe in yourself (Hint: you should)?

Replies

• philiphirons
    philiphirons Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sorry but mine are running goals

10 Miles this year
    13.1 Next year
    26.2 in 2013

Plan to be in perfect condition in 2013, have set up my own weekley training programme slowly increasing distance each weds and sun run
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Never apologize for being a runner! I'm one by nature, but I mix it up too. Good luck! Those are great goals!
  • DarlingThief
    DarlingThief Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to cut my time down when I swim a mile. I've been averaging at 40 mins every time I swim a mile. So ultimately I want to swim 2 miles in an hour.
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I want to be fit enough to climb to the Golden Gallery of St. Paul's Cathedral in London when I next visit England! It's ONLY 85 meters/528 steps from the Cathedral floor - Ha! Here's hoping...
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be fit enough to try any activity that presents itself: rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, bicycling etc. I want to be able to lift the canoe and then paddle it, for example. Of course, I want to look good while doing these activities! ;->
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Im working up to being able to swim laps continuously for 30min - when I can do that Ill be getting myself one of those waterproof mp3 players. Currently I can swim 120m without stopping lol.
    Im also considering training to run a half marathon. There is a group starting near where I live in June. The only catch is that you have to raise $1,250 each in sponsorship that goes towards finding a cure for cancer (www.cantoo.org.au). If you dont raise the full amount then you have to put in your own money to make up the balance. Id love to have a shot at this, but I dont know if I could raise that much money.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to do a pull up. Maybe not the most ambitious goal in the world, but I've never been able to do even one. I will get there.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Cool topic :P As I get into this healthy lifestyle deeper and deeper I think I am getting more addicted to it. I was thinking about to become more serious and who knows maybe be the next personal trainer :P I really like to workout and cook healthy stuff and share things with others that I've learned.
  • Amy_Do
    Amy_Do Posts: 20
    Options
    I am currently training for a 14K run but after that the goal is to train for an Olympic Triathlon. DId the training last year and the event was cancelled so hoping to find the time and discipline to do it this year.
  • Neen1977
    Neen1977 Posts: 22
    Options
    My goal is currently a swimathon 1995 lengths of the pool. I've not been this week due to falling over on Sunday. I wish everyone the best of luck and keep it up. Dont give in.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    This year I want to do a sprint distance tri (end of August), and next year I want to do the tough mudder (www.toughmudder.com) event!! 10 miles 20 obstacles!!! This all from someone who is still trying to transition from walking to running :) My 1st 5k is on May 7th.

A good friend told me to shoot for the moon, and if I miss I will at least land amongst the stars!!
  • mamijujuphat
    mamijujuphat Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Having a goal weight is great, but do you have a goal about "how" you want to be fit?

I see a lot of posts about people running their first 5Ks and 10Ks (hooray!), but running isn't the only sport! Have you ever wanted to try swimming 20 laps in a pool without being out of breath? Maybe hike Half Dome in Yosemite? Ride 50 miles on your bike? Walk across England?

What's your fitness goal? How are you planning on reaching it? Are you close? Do you believe in yourself (Hint: you should)?

funny you mention that...my goal is to hike Half Dome in Yosemite next year...so I'm working to get endurance to do it...I'll be there
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I want to do a backbend again. Nothing fancy...lay on the floor and get both my butt and upper body up!
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of goals -
    1. Climb the Grouse Grind without passing out
    2. Do the fat salmon swim in Seattle (3miles, open water)
    3. Who was it that said they wanted to do a pullup - I am so with you there!!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be fit enough to try any activity that presents itself: rock climbing, hiking, kayaking, canoeing, bicycling etc. I want to be able to lift the canoe and then paddle it, for example. Of course, I want to look good while doing these activities! ;->

what a great answer!! this is totally where i'm at in my head. I'm training for a 1/2 marathon (just started running, never been a runner) but it's only to get myself to a pace where i don't feel a tinge of embarrassment when people ask me if i want to go running with them or play soccer.
    i can do any activity and i really enjoy a variety of them but "i've never been athletic" meaning i grew up a book worm and not in sports, so to have the confidence/ability (i can do anything..just not well at all) in sports that a lot of my friends naturally do would be so amazing........
  • sarahlouisah
    Options
    mine are to run a 5k July, 10k Sept, 1/2 marathon April 2012 . After that I will move on to riding a bike as I have not done this since I was a child ( and I am very wobbly but this is something I can do with my daughter
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Mine are:

Run a couple 5K's (done and done; 3/19 and 4/16)
    Run at least a couple 10K's (5/7 and 7/2) and keep in that level of shape/conditioning
    When I get out of "obese" range I plan to start mixing it up a bit.

For now I just lust after the types of things I read in Outside and Runner's World.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but running is also my goal! Short term it was to be able to run for 30 minutes (I'm minutes away from embarking on my Week 8 Day 1 - 28 minute run with C25K!!!) and long term is to run the London Marathon!

In terms of exercises like swimming my goal was just feel good enough about my body in a bikini to actually go to the pool haha and also I'd like to learn to ride a bike - I was never taught when I was little - I don't know if that counts as a fitness goal or just learning a new skill?
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Right now: to complete the "300" workout in less than 20 minutes

Future: to complete an ironman triathlon
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get back to being a runner after many years off and many pounds on! So, my goals are mostly running:

Run first Half Marathon - September Great North Run

I have another goal, but it is even more scary than the Half Marathon: Summer 2012 I'd like to walk the English Coast to Coast walk. It is about 2 weeks of hiking from one coast to the other. I haven't quite committed to the goal because I'd most likely have to do the walk alone - which is even more scary than the distance. However, I would do it during the most popular month for the "trail" so I wouldn't really be alone. I like the idea of extreme outdoor adventures. Part of that goal is to get up the nerve to join a local rambling group. I'm nervous because these Yorkshire people can WALK and I don't want to be the chubby American girl huffing at the back of the line.

I think fitness goals are great to have. It seems like a better plan for lifelong healthy change.