Mexican Enchilada or Fish Fillets

Options
ixxta
ixxta Posts: 10
To all those who buy canned enchilada sauce, stop. The sauce is the simplest thing to make, no more high sodium intake. Here is the recipe, and if you have any questions, let me know.

INGREDIENTS
1 lb tomatillos (looks like a little green tomato covered with a husk)
2 Jalapeño peppers OR 2 serrano peppers (add more peppers if desired)
1 garlic clove
Salt to taste

Optional
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/4 cup cilantro leaves

Place tomatillos and peppers in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos and peppers with a slotted spoon.

Place tomatillos, peppers, onions and cilantro in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt.

For a true salsa verde enchilada try to thin out the salsa with 1/2 cup water. For the enchilada itself you can use shredded chicken or cheese to the inside and pour the sauce in the top. I usually make them in the pan, but if you want you can set the oven to 350 and put them in for 10-15 minutes. Add avocado or sour cream if desired. Enjoy!

I also use the sauce for Tilapia fillets. Here is the ingredients, (they are the same except the fillets and oil) don't you love it?

INGREDIENTS
1 garlic clove
Salt to taste

1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
4 Tilapia fillets
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 fresh lime juice

Place tomatillos and peppers in a saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos and peppers with a slotted spoon.

Place tomatillos and peppers in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt.

I like adding the salt and fresh lime juice to the Tilapia fillets a couple of minutes before cooking. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and 1 clove of garlic; cook and stir until fragrant. Add the fish fillets, and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Pour in the tomatillo sauce, and in the cilantro. Simmer for a few minutes, or place under a broiler until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Serve fish immediately on a bed of rice or make a salad. Spoon sauce over the top. Enjoy!

Replies

• MAK_01
    MAK_01 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I love enchiladas but usually get the canned sauce. I will be using this soon!
  • niclagi
    niclagi Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thank you living in Canada hard to find good sauce
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You rock!!! Really, I LOVE mexican food and use enchilada sauce all the time. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    To all those who buy canned enchilada sauce, stop. The sauce is the simplest thing to make, no more high sodium intake. Here is the recipe, and if you have any questions, let me know.

INGREDIENTS
    1 garlic clove
    Salt to taste

Optional
    1/2 cup chopped white onion
    1/4 cup cilantro leaves

Place tomatillos, peppers, onions and cilantro in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt.

For a true salsa verde enchilada try to thin out the salsa with 1/2 cup water. For the enchilada itself you can use shredded chicken or cheese to the inside and pour the sauce in the top. I usually make them in the pan, but if you want you can set the oven to 350 and put them in for 10-15 minutes. Add avocado or sour cream if desired. Enjoy!

I also use the sauce for Tilapia fillets. Here is the ingredients, (they are the same except the fillets and oil) don't you love it?

INGREDIENTS
    1 garlic clove
    Salt to taste

1 teaspoon olive or canola oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    4 Tilapia fillets
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 fresh lime juice

Place tomatillos and peppers in a food processor (or blender) and pulse until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt.

I like adding the salt and fresh lime juice to the Tilapia fillets a couple of minutes before cooking. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and 1 clove of garlic; cook and stir until fragrant. Add the fish fillets, and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Pour in the tomatillo sauce, and in the cilantro. Simmer for a few minutes, or place under a broiler until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Serve fish immediately on a bed of rice or make a salad. Spoon sauce over the top. Enjoy!

thanks! i didn't even think about making my own. i have two cans in the pantry to use up but after that i will begin using this instead!
  • michelellawrence
    Options
    sounds so good... will be trying this very soon! :)
  • ixxta
    ixxta Posts: 10
    Options
    Ur welcome. My husband is not a fish fanatic, I had to find a way to feed him fish. He also likes to eat fish sticks. I make him fish sticks tacos, these are super easy and fills you up quickly.

4 fish sticks (any brand you like)
    2 corn tortilla
    1 cup shredded lettuce or cabbage if desired
    1 tbs low fat sour cream
    1/2 cup of mexican salsa (pico de gallo) or 1/4cup of the tomatillo sauce

optional 2 slices of avocado

Heat the fish sticks in the oven, heat the tortillas in pan. I think tacos are best when you assemble them yourself. Place the plate of tortillas, the plate of fish, the salsa, the cabbage, and the avocados on the table and let everyone assemble their own.

Pico de gallo
    2 chopped tomato
    1/2 chopped onion
    1 Jalapeño peppers OR 1 serrano peppers (add more if desired)
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro
    1 lemon juice
    salt to taste

For the pico de gallo mix all ingredients in a bowl, and let it rest for 5 minutes. I even use the pico de gallo as a salad dressing. Is really so yummy.