1200 calories for everyone? Banks (and others)...I gotta qu

Options
Okay, just as an experiment one day, I clicked on the "complete logging for today" button right after breakfast (when I had only eaten 200 or so calories) and it said I need at least a minimum of 1200 calories.

My question is, how was 1200 calories determined to be the default for everyone? Won't the actual minimum number of calories be dependent on our current weight and BMR? I am just curious because I feel like my body would go into starvation mode on 1200 calories (since I am currently allotted 1740 after my 1000 calorie deficit to hopefully lose 2 pounds per week).

Is 1200 really the absolute minimum for everyone or is that just a default in the system that I should not take into consideration because it won't apply to me as someone who is much heavier than the average person?

I am asking because there are those rare days when I am not as hungry and don't eat every single one of my calories, and I want to make sure that I always get in at least the minimum to avoid starvation mode...and 1200 calories to me seems like it would be starvation mode for my body.

Any input? Thanks!

Replies

• BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Okay, just as an experiment one day, I clicked on the "complete logging for today" button right after breakfast (when I had only eaten 200 or so calories) and it said I need at least a minimum of 1200 calories.

My question is, how was 1200 calories determined to be the default for everyone? Won't the actual minimum number of calories be dependent on our current weight and BMR? I am just curious because I feel like my body would go into starvation mode on 1200 calories (since I am currently allotted 1740 after my 1000 calorie deficit to hopefully lose 2 pounds per week).

Is 1200 really the absolute minimum for everyone or is that just a default in the system that I should not take into consideration because it won't apply to me as someone who is much heavier than the average person?

I am asking because there are those rare days when I am not as hungry and don't eat every single one of my calories, and I want to make sure that I always get in at least the minimum to avoid starvation mode...and 1200 calories to me seems like it would be starvation mode for my body.

Any input? Thanks!
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've read on many sites, that noone should go under 1200. Hmmm, cause I was looking up what an 8 year old should eat, and it said it for him too.
  • mknipp
    mknipp Posts: 106
    Options
    1200 works for me. I think a lot of it has to do with the type of calories you get, and also figure in the fats, proteins, carbs. I think I could now just drink a can of Equate Diet Shake three times a day and still be satisfied. When I get hungry, I just find something else to occupy my mind until it's time to eat again. Or eat a cup of the 5-cal. 4 oz. Jello. I think we all have different metabolic systems, so we just have to find what's right for each of us.

I wish you success!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    1200 is the amount of calories to maintain quality of life and maintain normal body functions.
    Typically, starting out you need way more than 1200, especially a guy like myself being big and tall, I require more like 1850 a day and I should prob never come to 1200 a day.
    Some peoples "starvation modes" kick in even if they are eating over 1200 a day.
    Maybe Im confused on the question.
    But you should always try to eat as much of your calories as possible.
    Don't make yourself uncomfortable, either by eating too much when the site says you should, or by eating too little. If this is to be a permanent change you need to slowly slide into it.
    I would say always eat more than 1200 a day. That 1200 is based on someone not moving at all and not being stressed out and thinking hard.
    most everyone gets up and does work around he house or heads to work. So don't feel bad about going over your cals by 100, but def try to eat as much as what is alotted.
    As we get smaller, there will be times when you wish you had, because there are less cal's alotted then.
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is "Is 1200 calories really the bare minimum for everyone? Or do bigger people like me have a higher minimum?"

I usually eat all of my allotted calories, but on the days when I go under by a little bit, I want to make sure I am still reaching my minimum. If I eat 1500 calories, is that enough for me to avoid starvation mode? Or is my minimum really 1200 and is that a healthy minimum to avoid starvation mode for me?

Like I said (in the most wordy verbose way lol), it's not really a problem because I usually eat all of my calories per day...it's the rare occasions I am concerned about because the last thing I need is for my body to think it's starving and start holding on to fat on me!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is "Is 1200 calories really the bare minimum for everyone? Or do bigger people like me have a higher minimum?"
    Bigger bodies need more calories for maintenance than do smaller bodies, so 1200 is not for everyone--it varies according to body size. My BMR is 1600--I'd suffer on only 1200 a day. As you lose weight your BMR will decrease.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    1200 calories was an average put up a couple of decades ago by taking averages and coming up with this number. It's not really accurate, but it's out there now and there's no taking it back. Each individual person has their own unique number that they should NEVER go below. For some it's 1200, for others (like myself and most average and above sized men) it should be closer to around 1600 or 1800, for others (small people) it can be as low as 1000. The reason why this site, and many other places uses it, is because it's easier to use then trying to give each person their individual number. Basically MFP decided to use 1200 as a lowest common denominator because it's easy to remember, and safe enough for most that you won't immediately starve. But that doesn't make it the right number.

Basically eating below your BMR is bad. There are times, for certain periods where you can sustaine lower then BMR (like when your body fat is above 30% for women and above 25% for men) but that will obviously change as your body fat lowers. The reason for this is because there is a lot of available, and easilly reachable fat to use as energy by the body, so you're body won't recognize the "starving" point right away and start pulling extra glucose out of lean tissue, and it won't start slowing the metabolism as it would if you were in more of a normal fat % range.

Once your body fat thins out some, it becomes more difficult for your body to access those stores, and thus the body won't wait for all the energy it needs to come from those places, it will start augmenting it's energy with free glucose from protein (lean tissue), this is bad. While it's impossible to completely eliminate the process of using protein for extra energy, you can minimize it by keeping your body correctly fueled. this is why you should eat throughout the day, and in adequit amounts.