frozen yogurt???

Options
stupid question to some i would imagine, but as its not a big thing in the uk i'm not sure about it.

can i literally just shove a pot of yogurt in the fridge?? will it keep longer do some flavours freeze better than others, can i use the foil lidded ones in the freezer (if it is a case of just shoving a tub in) or do i need to decant it first??

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    lol I just stuck a yoghurt in the freezer 5 minutes ago to try this!
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    I'm actually not sure about this. Frozen yogurt has a "soft serve" ice cream texture, whereas yogurt that you freeze would be in an icy texture... I guess? I know that frozen yogurt IS actually yogurt, but I think there's more to the process than that.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've seen ppl on the forums says they've stuck yoghurt in the freezer, so I'll let you know how it turns out.

I've literally stuck an activia yoghurt complete with pot and lid straight into the freezer.
  • helgamaria1
    helgamaria1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i think it's like with ice cream , it's not enough to put flavoured cream in the freezer, you need the stirring to get it to be light and fluffy and not just a big block of frozen stuff!
  • MidniteDayDream
    MidniteDayDream Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I put gogurts (yogurt in a tube) in the freezer all the time. It's the only way I'll eat them. They do freeze well, end up being a cross between ice cream and an italian ice in texture.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    thanks for the advice so far, can't wait to hear the results of the activia test lol
    i've got a mullerlite vanilla with dark chocolate sprinkles that is begging to be frozen if it works
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    I'm in the UK...try a banana custard muller light. Frozen it's a fabulous desert. No it's not the right "icecream" texture. It has too many ice crystals that can only be removed by regular stirring through the freezing process. Warning...will take you about an hour to eat the pot but you'll enjoy every moment!
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    lol iv only ever heard of frozen yoghurt once...
    and thats the americanised version of ben and jerrys phish food ice cream.
    i know that ben and jerrys is from america, before anyone tries to correct me lol.
    but yeh i think they eat it more than ice cream...
    but it is alot less fat....
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I was tiny i used to stick old popsicle sticks (we washed them... -_-;) into those tiny kids yogurt cups (with the lid on) and freeze them. It was delicious.... As far as I can remember anyway.

I have to do that again someday.

I've never actually eaten "real" frozen yogurt though.
  • whiskey9890
    Options
    well i tried it with the mullerlite, and it was ok, didn't have any issues with how the texture went, but it made the yogurt taste sharper than how it normally it does which put me off a bit, will try it with another flavour and see how that one turns out
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    In the US it is sold as more of an ice cream product than yogurt... tastes like low-fat ice cream pretty much. Have you seen the threads on the recipe board about frozen mashed banana? It really does taste like ice cream. I was very skeptical, but I tried it and was amazed. Slice up a banana and freeze it. Then mash it up (the recipes say to use a food proccessor/ blender, but i just mashed w/ a fork), add a tsp of peanut butter, then stick it back in the freezer for abt 5 mins to set. soooo so good :)
  • whiskey9890
    Options
    oooh mary that sounds gorgeous, i will be trying that for desert tonight. anything has to beat the 230 cal lollies that are currently in the freezer surely
  • danielsmommy10
    Options
    i do the same thing!!
    I put gogurts (yogurt in a tube) in the freezer all the time. It's the only way I'll eat them. They do freeze well, end up being a cross between ice cream and an italian ice in texture.
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yogurt in the freezer is not a problem.

When you want to use it, defrost and stir it.

If you want frozen yogurt, no problem, take out of the freezer 10 min before you plan to eat it to give it a chance to soften.

I have just made a batch of frozen yogurt, with sweetened rhubarb in it yum. I use 0% greek yogurt, as it is less watery and has a little more protein in it, yum.

The low fat frozen products you buy in the supermarket, both yogurt and cream based, have air whipped in them to make them soft scoop. I suppose you could try this at home but I cannot be bothered.