First week without a loss....any ideas?

Options
I've been here since early February and have lost something each and every week. This week I've maintained. I set out wanting to lose 10 pounds, did that so easily that I set my sites on 15 pounds, lost 13 as of last week and decided to go for a FINAL goal of 18 pounds (from 143 to 125). I am 47 years old, 5'3" tall. Last week and this week I weighed in at 130.

I'm not really doing anything different. I know that one week does not necessarily mean I've hit a plateau or that i'm in starvation mode (I am usually under on my calories, but not by a lot). I know that the closer you get to goal the harder it is to lose. I know that I need to "mix-it-up" with my exercise so my body doesn't become too accustomed to it. My plan for the coming week is to start doing JMs Banish Fat Boost Metabolism DVD (will replace 30 Day Shred) on MWF and do 6 week 6 pack on TuTh (this is what I am currently doing on TuTh). I will continue to do No More Trouble Zones on Saturdays.

I've read conflicting info on Vitamin D and weight loss. I stopped taking mine last week figuring I was getting it from being outside (though with all the rain we're getting I haven't been out as much as I'd hoped). I plan to start taking the Vitamin D again today.

Anyone have any other ideas to get me losing again and keep me from hitting a plateau? I want to say goodbye to these last 5 pounds! Thanks!

Replies

• mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    Changing your workout is a start. Also, If you are always at or under your calories try going over for a day or two. You will be surprised what that can do for your metabolism. (it always kick-starts mine back up after slowing down) Good luck!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are at the tail end, so wouldn't worry overly much, its harder then . Well thats what i hear havent been at the tail end in so long (once in high school i dieted til goal, then discovered wine coolers and partying). keep plugging along.
    also look at not just your diet and excercis but other factors . such as medications including otc stuff, or any such thing out of the ordinary tha t could have disrupted your body (i have found thought the depo shot has not caused me to gain real wht, i will take a brief jump up the week of the shot)

keep at it there are so many things that can cause a brief hiccup
  • sandman27959
    Options
    Sounds to me like you already know all of the things to try to break through. I find that my body presents weight loss in one of two ways. Either the scale moves or I lose inches. That being said, my advice would be to stay the course, and realize that even though the scale is not moving, your body may be rearranging itself during this time. I need that mental reassurance so i don’t get discouraged. Dance with the one that brung ya and it'll work itself out soon enough. Hang in there. This is the part that takes a bit of mental toughness.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Yes, varying your exercise is one thing, but also varying your caloric intake from day to day is more important. When you're in a deficit for long periods of time, the metabolism adapts. For 2-3 days, eat maintenance calories, and 1 day eat a little surplus, then resume your deficit.
  • thogue29
    thogue29 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for your question because I gained 1.6lbs this week. I didn't do anything different. I am almost always under my calorie goal. I have a vit. D deficiency. I don't have any ideas for you but I am thankful that you posed the question.
  • jkd1214
    jkd1214 Posts: 27
    Options
    Here is what Jillian wrote on her facebook wall this morning.

"Smart Tip: Often we struggle w/losing the last 5-15lbs because our calorie deficit is too HIGH. We misconstrue this as a "plateau", but in actuality our body is at a healthy weight, it's the aesthetic that we're unhappy with not our health. So if your cal deficit is over 1000 a day your body will signal a metabolic slow down as a survival response. No more than 1000 cal deficit a day is key for shred mode."