Is anyone else nervous about the Holiday

Options
In my family it is a tradition to go out to eat for Easter Sunday. We are going to a buffet brunch. Ya, a buffet. OMG, all that food!! I have come up with a plan. I am going to start with the fresh fruit. Then a big toss salad with oil and vineagar. I will finish off with a small portion of protein, probably turkey or chicken. I am going to eat slow. I also don't want to hear the comments from family, "you know, it is a holiday it's okay to eat what you want today". Does that mean when you eat on a holiday the cals don't count? LOL. I know it is okay to indulge on ocasion, but it does not mean you eat so much you can't barely move afterword. I am going to finish the day off with a good long walk.

Just wondering if others have a plan.

Replies

• Pinkdestiny2
    Options
    Maybe you will feel better if you do some exercise afterwards?
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I just am counting it as a loss already.... I had been fasting for Lent...broke fast night with dinner.... another big dinner planned after Church today ( with lots of wine)... Saturday wont be too bad but then Sunday the HUGE Easter Feast.... Im not going to break these traditions.... I will eat with no guilt ( and since I havent had a dessert in over 2 months, I cant WAIT for Sunday).... Next week I will be drinking lots of water & fresh fruits & veggies and back on Track...

Enjoy your (insert-your-faith's-holiday-here)!!!
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    Wow!! I am sooo nervous too!!! After our Sunrise service at church, the whole church is going out for breakfast. I usually eat a bowl of Cheerios. Pretty sure that is not on the menu. Then afternooon my momther-in-law is taking the whole family out for a buffet style dinner. I like your ideas. I will for sure keep them in my mind and drink plenty of water in hopes not to eat too much! Good luck to ya girl!! :)
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking of posting the same question when I saw your post, my family has a huge dinner with ham, turkey , and all the trimmings. Last weekend I went out two nights with my son and his fiance and it has taken me all week to get off the three pounds I put on plus one. I ate a cheeseburger last Thursday and that was the first fried food I had in three weeks and I was sick for two days. I know if I over eat I will be sick, but it makes me nervous knowing there will be all that food and desserts at the dinner. I think my plan of attack will be to make a salad to take along and eat the turkey and not the ham, I think I will also make a healthy dessert to take like strawberry shortcake so I am not tempted by everything else. Good luck to everyone on getting through the holiday:)
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I do not know why you count it as a loss... You can enjoy the food at a buffet, there's plenty of choice for protein and salads. Cottage cheese, greens, cheese, ... if you use pepper and lemon as dressing, and as meat find something with curry or mustard...
    I like buffets because I eat as I would eat at home more or less.

If you want to indulge, you can also exercise before going to the buffet (early morning) and have a good protein shake low in carbs. That will feed your muscles and burn more, at the same time you won't feel as hungry.

I will make a great "mona" sweet bread to take to work on Tuesday, I would never make anything of the kind for myself, but sharing it with everyone (small piece per person), nobody is in danger then. :)

smiles and sunshine.
  • schleppy
    schleppy Posts: 3
    Options
    I think your plan is a good one. If you can follow that up with a little walk afterwards, I think you'll be doing better than 90% of people.

I know you already mentioned it, but an occasional cheat day is helpful. Whatever you do, don't let your diet get in the way of enjoying the day with your friends and family!
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know the for the three major holidays Thanksgiving, Christmas and Superbowl Sunday being the highlight of them all lol, the food can be dangerous. But Easter? I dont know maybe my family always did that differently. We usually had a glazed baked ham and scalloped potatoes, but then most else was healthy, citrus and ginger marinated asparagus, walnut oil and rosemary infused brussell sprouts, a fresh garden salad,deviled eggs, stuffed celery and maybe a shrimp cocktail tray. So other than potatos most of the meal is low carb and other than the salt in the ham it is pretty safe. Easter desserts we usually do something light as well, think spring people lol, my family loves sliced strawberries, peaches & blueberries over angel food cake, with fat free whip topping. Exercise before you go, take a nice long walk after dinner and drink your water as planned, and then you can safely have anything you like just keep to sensible portions. Relax its one day, celebrate with family and Enjoy!
  • mcafarelli
    Options
    I can sympathize with your feelings about Easter. Any trainer would tell you that when you're on a strict "diet" (I hate that word) to allow yourself one fat-day a week. This is my second time around losing weight. My trainer 15 years ago helped me to loose nearly 40 lbs and that was her best advice, as well as a food diary. It worked! In fact, after the first month, my fat-day (typically a Sunday) lost it's appeal because I realized that the next day I never really felt that great having consumed such rich foods, that my body had grown unaccustomed to not having on a regular basis.

Your plan sounds good... but if you're a dessert person, then splurge. I'm all about the carbs... bread, cakes, etc. I'm making my traditional Portuguese Sweet bread and I'm not going to resist the pleasure of eating it. Do your thing and enjoy your family.

Good luck and LGLG (let go let God) ;)
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    I know the for the three major holidays Thanksgiving, Christmas and Superbowl Sunday being the highlight of them all lol, the food can be dangerous. But Easter? I dont know maybe my family always did that differently. Relax its one day, celebrate with family and Enjoy!

in my family, Easter is bigger than Thanksgiving.... and it starts on Maundy Thursday, making the Easter Holiday 4 days of feasting...
  • prov31ms
    prov31ms Posts: 62
    Options
    We are also going to a buffet for Easter - and I think it will actually be "safer" than cooking at home because there won't be any leftovers! I will only have access to the food for one meal and then it is over - at least that is how I am looking at it. =0)