need advice on a NEW GRILL

Options
YVL93
YVL93 Posts: 121
I ve learned that grilling is one of the healthiest ways of cooking. so i need a grill. i am looking for a propane gas grill. any suggesstion for which brand or serie. i know that weber is good but alittle pricy. i welcome recipes too thank youuu

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Charcoal is MUCH better! But if you go propane get one that has cast iron grates...
  • whittlecj
    whittlecj Posts: 10
    Options
    You can also use the broiler in the oven - I often time just move the rack up higher and throw a steak or whatever directly on the oven rack. Broiling and grilling are basically the same thing. Make sure to put a cookie sheet or piece of foil under whatever you are broiling if its gonna be leaking fat or juices out (any meat).

If you want a grill in order to do more cooking outside, then by all means go ahead, but if its just to eat grilled food, then try the broiler.

that said, I haven't had luck with gas grills so I've moved to charcoal and the weber kettle.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would go to web site of the store you plan to get your grill, or any stores web site. They should have customer ratings and number of stars. Read all their coments and make your choice that way. I check Consumer Reports every time I make a purchase.
    Pick up a reciipe book on grilling, I have a few and they are great to have. Good luck and Happy Cooking . Watch out for the sweet pork and beans. lol.
  • bibarra
    bibarra Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We have a Charbroil Commercial Series with sideburner...cast iron grates...love it.......for those of you who don't know it...Sears Kenmore Grills are actually made by Charbroil and sold under the Sears name.....we got ours at Lowe's which had the best price and free assembly!
  • liquidsunsine
    Options
    I agree with GorillaNJ. Charcoal is the best way to go. But, for everyone and anyone who uses charcoal, switch to Lump Coal. Some bags have it as one word. It burns hotter, longer, and needs no charcoal fluid to get it started. Just a little newspaper. So you don't accidentally get that nasty charcoal taste on your foods that sometimes comes about. And don't use wood chips when using this stuff, because it's an all natural chard wood, it will already leave your food with a nice flavor. Adding wood chips will make it taste bitter and nasty. Yup, we learned from experience. lol.... It was nasty.....
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I agree with GorillaNJ. Charcoal is the best way to go. But, for everyone and anyone who uses charcoal, switch to Lump Coal. Some bags have it as one word. It burns hotter, longer, and needs no charcoal fluid to get it started. Just a little newspaper. So you don't accidentally get that nasty charcoal taste on your foods that sometimes comes about. And don't use wood chips when using this stuff, because it's an all natural chard wood, it will already leave your food with a nice flavor. Adding wood chips will make it taste bitter and nasty. Yup, we learned from experience. lol.... It was nasty.....

When grilling i like to mix them. I use kingsford charcoal lit in my chimney with the Weber wax cubes. No smell. After they light (10-15 minutes) I dump them in the grill and cover with a layer of lump.

When I BBQ I stick with the briquettes, the burn seems more consistant to me.