Embarrassing question

Options
I feel embarrassed asking this question but I do need your input. I eat fruits every morning for breakfast, consume my water either straight or with crystal lite, the majority of my evening meal is salad yet I do not move my bowels daily. i feel bloated and feel that most of my weight is attributed to not emptying my bowels regularly. Any suggestions?? I take a Colace daily but that's only a stool softener and i don't want to get hooked on laxatives.:explode:

Replies

• ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Options
    I feel embarrassed asking this question but I do need your input. I eat fruits every morning for breakfast, consume my water either straight or with crystal lite, the majority of my evening meal is salad yet I do not move my bowels daily. i feel bloated and feel that most of my weight is attributed to not emptying my bowels regularly. Any suggestions?? I take a Colace daily but that's only a stool softener and i don't want to get hooked on laxatives.:explode:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You need to add some fiber. Try whole oatmeal, whole grain breads. Flax seeds (ground) added to cereal, soups salads etc., is also supposed to help 'irregularity"
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    try and get in atleast 30g of fiber a day. i know it sounds like a lot but the average person only gets about 10g when we are sopposed to be consuming 30g. i like fiber ones honey cluster cereal (14g fiber ) and caramel delight cereal (9g fiber) are REALLY YUMMY!!! :tongue: also Kelloggs All Bran now has a tea drink mix out that has 10g of FIBER :noway: and only 20 cal, similar to the crystal light. if you do a little research on the web i am sure you can find some other cal foods super high in fiber.

GOOD LUCK!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LMKupizza
    Options
    You can also get a powdered fiber that you put in your water, baking, drinks ect. to supplement the fiber you miss out on. I think there is a powder called Beni-fiber or something like that.... but my friend had the same problem, and it helped her out a lot!
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i some times use Benefiber but the fiber content is not that good only 3g of fiber and 15 calories for 2 TBSP.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i have that problem too, unless i eat at least 35g of fiber daily, drink water, & exercise. i eat a combo of Kashi go lean and Smart bran cereals almost every morning; that is 14g fiber & 23g protein right there. i just about died from constipation on my vacation from eating croissants & brioche for breakfast instead of my fiber!!
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I started drinking 3 teaspoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in 4 oz of Light cranberry juice in the morning. It is a bit tart but the Apple Cider Vinegar really works.
    I am one of those people that increasing Fiber did not work for me. I am like you, I did not want to get hooked on laxatives so this is not the most pleasant taste but it is organic and a natural solution. So far it hasn't let me down!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My favorite fiber source is Ole Extreme Wellness tortillas, they have 71 cal, a whopping 12g fiber, and only 2g fat. They come in at least two flavors, Tomato Basil and Spinach Herb. Makes a great wrap, they're an 8 inch size.

My second favorite is Aunt Millie's 12 grain bread. A whole 6gr fiber per slice, tastes great. So, toast for breakfast and a wrap for lunch gives me 18 gr of fiber without even thinking about it.

The only downside is that both of these are a bit more pricey than regular, but if they're available in grocery stores here in the wilds of Michigan you should be able to find them easily.

Good luck!
    Ez

PS....With THIS crew NO question is too embarrassing, to personal or too politically incorrect! That's what's so much fun!!!::bigsmile: :
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    try and get in atleast 30g of fiber a day. i know it sounds like a lot but the average person only gets about 10g when we are sopposed to be consuming 30g.

That's interesting because the site calculated 17 g of fiber for me which I exceed everyday. today I ate 20g.
  • Zeii
    Zeii Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't go every day, I never have. I've always went every few days, sometimes once a week. Although lately I have been eating a lot of blueberries and wow, they flush out the system!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    If you eat mostly fruit and salad you are probably okay in the fiber department. One question to ask is how much do you eat? If you are eating a small amount of food it would make sense that it doesn't pass through quickly. It could also simply be your body. Some people go 2 or 3 times a day, others 2 or 3 times a week. If you have always been regular, and this is a sudden change, and you have not made an drastic eating or exercising or lifestyle changes around the the time your bowel movements became irregular, then seek a professional opinion.
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    If you eat mostly fruit and salad you are probably okay in the fiber department. One question to ask is how much do you eat? If you are eating a small amount of food it would make sense that it doesn't pass through quickly. It could also simply be your body. Some people go 2 or 3 times a day, others 2 or 3 times a week. If you have always been regular, and this is a sudden change, and you have not made an drastic eating or exercising or lifestyle changes around the the time your bowel movements became irregular, then seek a professional opinion.

I've always been this way. Every other day or sometimes twice per week. When I used to drink fruit juice with flax seed for breakfast every morning I would go. Oh well, I guess I best be glad I can go at all:bigsmile:
  • ladyhawk
    Options

I've always been this way. Every other day or sometimes twice per week. When I used to drink fruit juice with flax seed for breakfast every morning I would go. Oh well, I guess I best be glad I can go at all:bigsmile:
  • ladyhawk
    Options

• ladyhawk
    Options

• sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I eat dannon activia everyday for breakfast and a banana. and it seams to keep things moving, I was having the same issue. try it out it does work for some people. I also have oatmeal on those really hungry days. :flowerforyou:
  • shashod
    shashod Posts: 103
    Options
    Kiwi Fruit and Oranges normally help me.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't go every day, I never have. I've always went every few days, sometimes once a week. Although lately I have been eating a lot of blueberries and wow, they flush out the system!

Yes, blueberries and raspberries are WONDER "cleansers" - lol, and all-natural to boot!

Keep in mind some fruit - like bananas - are constipating. So, a variety is important. Lots of greens (salad), flax seed, and corn (things that your body can't digest) are good for "moving" stuff out.

White bread, most processed stuff (cookies, crackers, etc.) and some starchy foods (white mashed potatoes) are constipating.

I used to only go 2 times a week - but since I've eliminated all white bread, processed stuff and cut back on the starchy (low nutrition) food - now I'm a daily regular and lovin' it!
  • Javancub
    Javancub Posts: 181
    Options
    My favorite fiber source is Ole Extreme Wellness tortillas, they have 71 cal, a whopping 12g fiber, and only 2g fat. They come in at least two flavors, Tomato Basil and Spinach Herb. Makes a great wrap, they're an 8 inch size.

I am having trouble finding good, healthy tortillas, where can i find Ole Extreme Wellness tortillas?
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I also used to be a 2-3 times a week but since I've been eating more carefully I'm pretty much a once a day girl.

I'd recommend using ground flax seed. You can pick it up from GNC.

(The other alternative is a good night of boozing. MAN will that clean you out the next mornin' (probably a couple of times "if ya know what I mean"!)) :noway: