Save your sanity: Take measurements

Dawntodusk
Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
In the last two weeks I've only lost 0.4 lbs (versus nearly 3 the two weeks prior to that). But, my measurements have gone down at least an inch on my waist and hips.

If you haven't already, take your measurements. It just might save your sanity.

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    On that same note . . .

I had a weight spike of 7lbs!!!!! A result of some exhaustion, dehydration, hormones, and a few bad days of eating.

My measurements were the same, and in a few days the weight came back off. No need to despair about what the scale says when you can whip out that tape meausre and put your mind at ease!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    I started taking mine a few months ago. And it does help to see the proof that inches are going away when the scale isn't being nice. (like today)
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    You are so right, my biggest regret is not having taken my measurements :(
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    YES! Can't be said enough!

I didn't take measurements until I'd already been here a few weeks, and now I wish I had done it when I started so I'd know my total inches lost.

But I also had a week where I lost something like half a pound and taking my measurements still showed a loss.

Most of us are here in an attempt to get into better shape, to feel better about our appearance, to improve our health and to have our clothes fit better and more flatteringly. That's all about losing the inches! Scale weight is a completely arbitrary measure and will be quite frustrating if it's the only measure of your progress.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Thank you for this. I've been doing MFP for about 7 weeks and have only lost 1 lb. I am sticking with my calories, getting more exercise but the scale wont budge. I haven't taken measurements because I only have a retracting tape measure, but seeing made me add a soft tape measure to my shopping list for the weekend. I also need to figure out if i'm underestimating my calories, because i think that is the only other reason the scale might not be moving.
This discussion has been closed.