Metabolic Testing

Options
I may have an opportunity to have a free metabolic screening in a few weeks. Does anyone know what this actually entails? Is it blood tests? Fitness? The free test comes if I participate in research about how women gain and lose weight. I want to make sure it is worth my time.

Replies

• dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    Do it! It's completely worth it! I did it through my Y and it shows you how many calories your body burns a minute, how many calories your body needs to survive, etc. I learned a lot. It wasn't blood tests. They put a heart rate monitor on me and then put a mask on my face while I walked on the treadmill. The mask was to figure out how much oxygen/carbon dioxide you are breathing in and out. Very interesting.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Do it! It's completely worth it! I did it through my Y and it shows you how many calories your body burns a minute, how many calories your body needs to survive, etc. I learned a lot. It wasn't blood tests. They put a heart rate monitor on me and then put a mask on my face while I walked on the treadmill. The mask was to figure out how much oxygen/carbon dioxide you are breathing in and out. Very interesting.

Dlangenfeld: How much did this end up costing? I would really like to look into do this... it would be really interesting to see the results
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I may have an opportunity to have a free metabolic screening in a few weeks. Does anyone know what this actually entails? Is it blood tests? Fitness? The free test comes if I participate in research about how women gain and lose weight. I want to make sure it is worth my time.

It sounds really vague - it could be the cardio-pulmonary testing that dlangenfeld mentioned, but it could also mean bloodwork - lipids, electrolytes, blood sugar, liver enzymes, etc. I would call them and ask them what it means.
  • dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options

Dlangenfeld: How much did this end up costing? I would really like to look into do this... it would be really interesting to see the results

Through the Y it was around $90 for the exercise test and it was $30-40 more to do the resting one too. The resting one is what tells you how many calories your body needs to consume every day to live. Through that I found that my body burns a lot of calories and I need AT LEAST 1700 a day. You should try it...very interesting.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I would be most interested in the resting one... I have a heart rate monitor to help with what I burn through exercise.
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was told the testing was a "$300 value" and would also get a heart rate monitor watch. I think that value maybe dervived from what it would cost to go to the hospital or a clinic to have it done and it may be inflated because of that. Thank you for your information. I am going to a meeting on Monday about the reseach and to learn about the testing. I had looked it up on the internet, but felt it had to be more than breathing while walking on a treadmill...guess not! :smile: