How does your BMI change?

Options
My BMI is 36.5. Ugh. Target BMI for my height is 25 or lower. I wonder how long it will take me to reach that? I've lost 11 pounds so far. Nice and slow, but nice and steady. I figure it will take me about a year to lose 50+ pounds at this rate? Will my BMI continue to lower like my weight has?

Replies

• fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Your BMI is based on your height to weight ratio. So yes as you lose weight your BMI will drop. You can google BMI calculator and find out yor BMI at any given time with your current weight to get your current BMI.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Put your height and goal weight into the BMI calculator.
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    You don't even have to google it. Click tools at the top of the page in MFP and you can see your BMI right there. I wouldn't get too caught up in it though. It's a very generalized calculation. Instead I would head to walmart/target/whatever and pick up a scale that can calculate body fat %. Focus on improving that instead. BMI is just a proportion of your height and weight. While body fat % actually gives you a look at your specific body composition. You'll see better results if you focus on that instead.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Don't mean to hyjack but do the scales that meassure bod fat% really give you acurate info? How can a scale tell how much bodyfat one has?
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    Don't mean to hyjack but do the scales that meassure bod fat% really give you acurate info? How can a scale tell how much bodyfat one has?
    Short answer: sometimes.

They aren't accurate for people with muscular builds. The best way is to get measured at your gym. They use other methods (calipers, displacement, etc). Not sure, but I would think your doctor could do that as well.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    This is correct, they give me a body fat percentage of 26%, I had a body fat test done at the gym and its actually 19.2
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    Short answer: sometimes.

They aren't accurate for people with muscular builds. The best way is to get measured at your gym. They use other methods (calipers, displacement, etc). Not sure, but I would think your doctor could do that as well.

Deviation is right. The scale has a pretty large margin of error (about 5%) but its still a good starting point.