Rant: Is it just me?

Options
Ok, I'm about to draw the ire of the community, but I can't help myself. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by some of the questions that get posted? I mean really...

(These are not drawn from any particular post.)

"I keep going over my calories. What can I do?? Any advice would help!"
"I have dieted before but I always give up and gain the weight back. Any advice?"
"Should I abuse <drug xyz> so I can lose weight faster?"
"I ate a whole bunch of crap and gained seven pounds. What should I do??"
"I broke my leg, should I still be using the treadmill?"

:huh:

Ok, I haven't really seen that last one. :laugh: However, in a couple months on the board I've seen the others ad nauseum. Do they really need to be answered? Can they be answered without the word "stupid" at the end?

I just have to stop typing before I say something really offensive. I'm half joking, I guess. But only half.

Replies

• Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm about to draw the ire of the community, but I can't help myself. Am I the only one that gets annoyed by some of the questions that get posted? I mean really...

"I have dieted before but I always give up and gain the weight back. Any advice?"

Ok, I haven't really seen that last one. :laugh: However, in a couple months on the board I've seen the others ad nauseum. Do they really need to be answered? Can they be answered without the word "stupid" at the end?

I just have to stop typing before I say something really offensive. I'm half joking, I guess. But only half.
  • BUNNYB
    BUNNYB Posts: 91
    Options
    LM AO Razboo!!!
    ya I see them too... maybe some ppl are that confused or unsure of everything?
    wooooooosaw ur way out!!! stress can cause weight gain as well!!!
  • Furpaws
    Options
    nope, it's not just you. There seems to be a surplus of stupid questions lately, just begging for stupid answers. Makes me wonder if the site has been invaded by ('gasp') trolls.... :wink:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Don't worry Razbo we do see those :wink:
    But I think that sometimes people get desperate for some support and don't give themselves the time to think those questions through. You know I am sure how it can be when you are just to close to something you can't see the answer even if it is staring you in the face.

Take a deep breath and let them pass or post but try not to let those questions bother you.

That being said I think it is important to allow even those questions because we don't need to worry about being judged harshly by the posts that come up when a person is desperate for support or just need to vent. We are here for a common cause that is the important thing.:smokin:

Eve
  • suspendedindusk03
    Options
    Well said, Eve23. :flowerforyou:
  • borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with Eve.. There are so many times when I screw up and I just want an easy way out..... It makes me feel better just to ask others to fix it even though I know its all on me. Eventually, I pick my self up off the floor and start all over again.
    There are people who try so many times and mess up..they just need encouragement and attention to keep going....I think thats how they seek it...
  • Razboo
    Options
    That being said I think it is important to allow even those questions because we don't need to worry about being judged harshly by the posts that come up when a person is desperate for support or just need to vent. We are here for a common cause that is the important thing.:smokin:

Eve

I think that is a very good point. I guess, as they say, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. I suppose part of the trick is reading into the lines what is really being asked.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    We could ask Mike for a FAQ.

The first question always bothers me. It's like a slap in the face for us that struggle keeping the calories down.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Maybe some people just don't understand where they need to cut corners. They are asking for our help. That is what this site is about. I thought so anyway. I had a break down and I vented here. I felt better, and the words of encouragement really helped. It also show others that it happens and we all do it. They are not alone.
    People who have been on many diets and have failed need the most support. It is not easy to do this and so what if it is a stupid question, they need advise. Maybe they need a tip or two or three to get them on the track to the right lifestyle change.
    So in my opinion none of the questions are stupid, they are a way of asking for help. This is a team and team work is the way to win all challenges.
    I hope people don't read this and think oh my gosh, I better not ask that question because it might be stupid.
    If you don't like the topic or the question, ignore it and move on to the next one.
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from Razboo. I had a "message board war" with someone who wanted to lose weight the fast way, and I jokingly said becoming bulimic or taking laxatives would be the only way to do that" and she asked me how to take laxatives! Argh!
    That being said, I guess it's possible that some people just don't know the answers, or they are hoping that there is some secret way to fix everything. Don't worry....I think it annoys us all...some just seem to have more patience and tolerance than others...(me)....
  • playinwfire
    Options
    Geee Razboo:noway: I have to check if any of my posts were stupid:ohwell: !!!

Lollll ok I'm not going back and read everything but if I did or anyone did just to get some support and talk to someone.

Have a great and healthy day I have to shuvle some snow:sad:
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'll I can add to this topic is for as many seemingly stupid question that arise on this site, their are twice if not three times as many smart answers. That's why this site works.
  • icandoit
    Options
    I'll I can add to this topic is for as many seemingly stupid question that arise on this site, their are twice if not three times as many smart answers. That's why this site works.

well said bigdane321!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • lovelygirls
    Options
    I guess if its a genuine question there is no such thing as a stupid question? (If they are trolls, they are quite nice ones compared to ones I've encountered on the net before!). But if you have been using this site for a long time you might get a bit sick of hearing the same ones over and over again, and so a FAQ page would be a good idea.

I have only been using this site for a just over a week and I have already found the support and cameraderie (spelling??) very helpful and encouraging and will I think be the key to me breaking my usual patterns and help me break out of the vicous circle I am in! So I think it would be a shame if someone didn't ask for help when they needed it because they were worried about saying something silly.
  • Razboo
    Options
    Well, an hour has gone by long ago and I can't delete the post. The first few replies seemed to get the humour, but I see it is being taken seriously by some folks.

At the risk of bumping this back to the top, let me just say I was ranting a bit. I never intended anyone to stop asking questions nor to offend anyone... Except for "should I use ex-lax to lose weight". That one I stick by.

Normally I'm not such an *kitten*. ...Normally. :ohwell:
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh Razboo... you must know us girls can be VERY sensitive and emotional! Just ask my poor husband. If the scale is good to me when I get on, then I'll have the best day ever. If it is isn't what I want to see, then I can be a real bear to be around! We know you weren't being totally serious... we just sometimes need to talk through our "issues". I think it is fair to say that we probably know what we need to do to obtain our goals, but this site just allows us to vent and get a little lovin' from our posse when we are less than perfect.

So, no worries... all is okay. Everyone take a big yogic breath and exhale. Marywilldiet, can you give us a yoga mantra for the day? :happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    razbo.

I'm so :frown: you posted that post. I think everyone needs either support or information. You can just use this site as a "Food Diary" tool. You don't have to read the posts.

There are a lot more women than men on this site. Women tend to talk things out. I'm 53 and have never tried to lose weight in my life. What may seem obvious to you is all new stuff to me. I had never even been in a gym until a month ago.

"::Girls and cats should do what they want. Boys and dogs should get over it.::" :wink:

~Cheryl

MY pet peeve = When you LOSE (l-o-s-e) weight your pants become LOOSE (l-o-o-s-e).

One does NOT "LOOSE" weight. "Loose" is an adjective. "LOSE" is a verb. Thanks. I needed that.
  • icandoit
    Options
    Razboo-
    I forgive you. I know that men don't always think before they speak. OK, I am still a bit peeved. Anyway, I bet you are glad that there is a computer screen in front of you instead of all of use women. Just like katiechakos said, we are very sensitive. Don't screw with us when it comes to PMS and dieting. We become EVIL.
    All is well. Happy Holidays
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    "::Girls and cats should do what they want. Boys and dogs should get over it.::" :wink:

That is just too funny. I love it and I will be using it….soon lol. :flowerforyou:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It's not just you, and we women need to quit blaming everything like PMS for the reason we are what we have become. It seems to me the newer a person is to making a serious change in their life, the more questions they have (silly, redundant, stupid, smart or otherwise!).

The longer any of us has tried to make this major change in how we eat, exercise and function on a daily basis the better we become at it, just like learning to walk! Everyone is here for support, I find a great amount just by going through postings and I answer some and avoid the ones that just don't seem to get it yet. That is where I am at today and someday the people with what are annoying questions to some will be further tomorrow too and they will be the ones answering the sometimes seemingly ridiculous and obvious questions.

Just roll with the punches and take note of posts that may help you and there is no need to add to the others!