Truvia.....no calories and no aftertaste....opinions??

Options
KimberSt
KimberSt Posts: 62 Member
I've used it a couple of times in my caffeine-free iced tea and I like it. However, what about cooking with it?

Replies

• lovekaibo
    Options
    I have tried it in Chocolate Chip cookies and liked it. I cannot tolerate Splenda, or any of that fake stuff due to migraines, LOVE Truvia!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    It works great! SOmetimes it doesnt dissolve all the way in my nightly tea, but nothing that I would stop using it over!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Love love love it.

It's best on raw foods and drinks. You *can* cook with it, but it alters the textures in many baked goods. I've tried it with bread (bad result - the yeast didn't have what it needed), with bbq sauce (great result), with muffins (mediocre result. The crum and texture was off), and with cookies (depends on the cookie, but it worked ok with 1/2 the sugar substituted).
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing, however I put it in my coffee and Hated it! so I have it sitting around and wanted to try cooking with it but I'm afraid to.
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You need to watch it if you are even slightly insulin resistant. I love Truvia, and even though it's not sugar, your blood sugar can spike a little. But is is of course, a great substitute to sugar.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Although not calorie free, agave nectar substitutes with sugar almost ounce-for-ounce in baked goods. It’s viscous, and not granular, so it will not work for batters and doughs that use sugar for structure, not just flavor. On the plus side, it has a glycemic index under 30. As opposed to sugar, which scores in the 60’s. Foods with a glycemic index lower than 55 are considered low glycemic foods.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I have tried it in Chocolate Chip cookies and liked it. I cannot tolerate Splenda, or any of that fake stuff due to migraines, LOVE Truvia!
    I'm the same way! Anything like diet soda or the crystal light mix ins trigger major stupid migraines. That's why I'm still at the point of its-too-good-to-be-true stage when it comes to Truvia..
  • KimberSt
    Options
    Well, I'm about to attempt homemade spaghetti sauce and use Truvia instead of sugar. We shall see.....
    I'm also using a spaghetti squash instead of pasta. Have made it before and I LOVE it!!! Just have never substituted the sugar needed. I'll let you all know the outcome.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Although not calorie free, agave nectar substitutes with sugar almost ounce-for-ounce in baked goods. It’s viscous, and not granular, so it will not work for batters and doughs that use sugar for structure, not just flavor. On the plus side, it has a glycemic index under 30. As opposed to sugar, which scores in the 60’s. Foods with a glycemic index lower than 55 are considered low glycemic foods.

I hate to tell you but Agave Nector is not all it's cracked up to be:

From Stephan Guyenet, Ph.D. in neurobiology (blog at [...]

"Agave syrup is made from the heart of the agave plant, which is pressed to release a juice rich in inulin. Inulin is a polymer made of fructose molecules. The inulin is then broken down either by heat or by enzymatic processing. The result is a sweet syrup that is rich in fructose. Agave syrup is marketed as a healthy, alternative sweetener. In fact, it's probably as bad or worse than high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). They are both a refined and processed plant extract. Both are high in fructose, with agave syrup leading HFCS (estimates of agave syrup range up to 92% fructose by calories). Finally, agave syrup is expensive and inefficient to produce. The high fructose content gives agave syrup a low glycemic index, because fructose does not raise blood glucose. Unfortunately, as some diabetics learned the hard way, using fructose as a substitute for sucrose (cane sugar) has negative long-term effects on insulin sensitivity."
  • KimberSt
    Options
    Hey all,

Just letting you know that I used the Truvia in my homemade spaghetti sauce and WOW!! I was definitely pleased with the results. Didn't tell hubby until after he commented that it tasted really good. I made him regular spaghetti while I made myself a spaghetti squash. AWESOME!!!