Somethings gotta work.... Encouragement and Booty Kicks Need

Options
As I read thru all the post on here i have noticed alot of you have lost a lot of weight, I think wow and feel motivated and at the same time part of me is jelious. I want that so bad. to be thinner, to be more active to have the time and energy to do it all....
I don't want to sound like I am winning but sometimes I feel I just need to vent. or toot my own horn so I am going to start a running diary with this topic board. I figure if I can have a place to go and just write down what is going on this may help me to finally succed this time in shedding the extra pounds I am carting around.

I encourage comments from others..PLEASE.. if you are going thru something simular, or have gone thru it and can give me a kick in the butt to get me back in sync I will appericate it. ...

This is going to be a long post today as I am going to include a little more history info too.

I am 38 5'9 and this morning I wieghed a depressing 222 lbs. I am married to a great man who is my best friend he is always supportive but he has a hard time with being anything other than sweet to me it seems he wont give me negative feedback persay at least that he realizes he is doing but at the sametime because he is a man i think (no offense guys) he doesnt realize that the lack of positive comments is just as bad, example he use to tell me I was beautiful, and unless I ask how i look he doesnt say anything very often and when he does it is usually a " you look fine" ..grrr. :grumble: I look in the mirror and i see the rolls of fat and creases in my back the love handles, my stomach that looks like I am 6 months preggie or expecting twins,There are days I just want to cry. I keep trying to find the beautiful woman in the mirror but she is hidden behind the fat chick I guess....
I have struggled with my wieght most of my life it seems, most people say they dont think I am really that over wieght, either they are being nice or the baggy clothes i wear most of the time is hidding my wieght. I have one of those apple figures, kind of like a guy when i gain weight most of it lands in thich layers of fat between my underarms to my upper thighs.
In the past when i wanted to lose weight I would smoke more ciggerettes and drink a lot of pepsi to keep me going and not eat for days .. well thoise days are in the past.... I had my last cigerette on News years eve 2007 at 10:45 pm and even though I still crave one from time to time I have managed to stay away from them .... at first it was with both the Chantrix to cut the desire and craving and my hubby quiting with me and a desire to get healthy... .
I first started this diet back in February 2008 I gave up my morning expresso/mocha ( 20 oz of chocolate, caramel, caffine and whip cream :frown: ) they were yummy and at the same time i gave up my Pepsi. to some that may not be a big deal but for me it is I drank 2-4 litters of Pepsi a day. ( no that is not a typo that is probably actually a modest estimate) I joined a gym and was working out 4-5 days a week for an hour or more every week , this from someone who almost didnt exercise at all, i coldnt even go shopping for groceries without getting out of breath and wore out. and I lost about 20 lbs

In June I made the decision that I was giving up the gym.. .I have a few reasons for this 1) money: $50 a month can almost fill up my gas tank 2) I was feeling guilty I would come home from work and change go to the gym and not get back home til 7 or 7:30 at night no problem but I have an 11 year old son at home who when school is in goes to bed at 9pm not much time left for him (actually I think he is the main reason the money would be second) , ... when I quit the gym I also stoped logging my food on the other site i was on. As a result I gained back 2/3 of the weight I had worked so hard to lose.

Solution.. A couple of weeks ago I bought a treadmill and put it in the livingroom, and my goal is to use it at least 30 minutes a day a minium of 3 days a week. ... Down side I only burn about 200 calories when i do and the 30 minutes i am on it kicks my butt.... I burn more calories mowing the yard but unfortunately that only can be done once every 2 weeks and when the rain comes that will go away our yard turns to a swamp.. LOL

Soo here is my plann of attack... 1) watch what I eat -1400 calories plus work out calories a day. 2) Drink a gallon of water a day. 3) get on the treadmill at least 30 minutes 3 times a week ( more when possible) and slowly start increasing the incline and speed (current max is 3 mph at 4-5% fluctuating) (and I can only maintain that speed for about 5 minutes before I feel like i am going to go flying off the back. and 4) log , log log- keep track of what i eat daily, and finally 5) use the "community" section of this website for both the positive motivation I may need and the Kick in the butt when I am slacking ...

Any way enough rambling for now.. For those who hav read all of this - wow and thanks for putting up with all of my typos :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Shellie1069
    Options
    As I read thru all the post on here i have noticed alot of you have lost a lot of weight, I think wow and feel motivated and at the same time part of me is jelious. I want that so bad. to be thinner, to be more active to have the time and energy to do it all....
    I don't want to sound like I am winning but sometimes I feel I just need to vent. or toot my own horn so I am going to start a running diary with this topic board. I figure if I can have a place to go and just write down what is going on this may help me to finally succed this time in shedding the extra pounds I am carting around.

I encourage comments from others..PLEASE.. if you are going thru something simular, or have gone thru it and can give me a kick in the butt to get me back in sync I will appericate it. ...

This is going to be a long post today as I am going to include a little more history info too.

I am 38 5'9 and this morning I wieghed a depressing 222 lbs. I am married to a great man who is my best friend he is always supportive but he has a hard time with being anything other than sweet to me it seems he wont give me negative feedback persay at least that he realizes he is doing but at the sametime because he is a man i think (no offense guys) he doesnt realize that the lack of positive comments is just as bad, example he use to tell me I was beautiful, and unless I ask how i look he doesnt say anything very often and when he does it is usually a " you look fine" ..grrr. :grumble: I look in the mirror and i see the rolls of fat and creases in my back the love handles, my stomach that looks like I am 6 months preggie or expecting twins,There are days I just want to cry. I keep trying to find the beautiful woman in the mirror but she is hidden behind the fat chick I guess....
    I have struggled with my wieght most of my life it seems, most people say they dont think I am really that over wieght, either they are being nice or the baggy clothes i wear most of the time is hidding my wieght. I have one of those apple figures, kind of like a guy when i gain weight most of it lands in thich layers of fat between my underarms to my upper thighs.
    In the past when i wanted to lose weight I would smoke more ciggerettes and drink a lot of pepsi to keep me going and not eat for days .. well thoise days are in the past.... I had my last cigerette on News years eve 2007 at 10:45 pm and even though I still crave one from time to time I have managed to stay away from them .... at first it was with both the Chantrix to cut the desire and craving and my hubby quiting with me and a desire to get healthy... .
    I first started this diet back in February 2008 I gave up my morning expresso/mocha ( 20 oz of chocolate, caramel, caffine and whip cream :frown: ) they were yummy and at the same time i gave up my Pepsi. to some that may not be a big deal but for me it is I drank 2-4 litters of Pepsi a day. ( no that is not a typo that is probably actually a modest estimate) I joined a gym and was working out 4-5 days a week for an hour or more every week , this from someone who almost didnt exercise at all, i coldnt even go shopping for groceries without getting out of breath and wore out. and I lost about 20 lbs

In June I made the decision that I was giving up the gym.. .I have a few reasons for this 1) money: $50 a month can almost fill up my gas tank 2) I was feeling guilty I would come home from work and change go to the gym and not get back home til 7 or 7:30 at night no problem but I have an 11 year old son at home who when school is in goes to bed at 9pm not much time left for him (actually I think he is the main reason the money would be second) , ... when I quit the gym I also stoped logging my food on the other site i was on. As a result I gained back 2/3 of the weight I had worked so hard to lose.

Solution.. A couple of weeks ago I bought a treadmill and put it in the livingroom, and my goal is to use it at least 30 minutes a day a minium of 3 days a week. ... Down side I only burn about 200 calories when i do and the 30 minutes i am on it kicks my butt.... I burn more calories mowing the yard but unfortunately that only can be done once every 2 weeks and when the rain comes that will go away our yard turns to a swamp.. LOL

Soo here is my plann of attack... 1) watch what I eat -1400 calories plus work out calories a day. 2) Drink a gallon of water a day. 3) get on the treadmill at least 30 minutes 3 times a week ( more when possible) and slowly start increasing the incline and speed (current max is 3 mph at 4-5% fluctuating) (and I can only maintain that speed for about 5 minutes before I feel like i am going to go flying off the back. and 4) log , log log- keep track of what i eat daily, and finally 5) use the "community" section of this website for both the positive motivation I may need and the Kick in the butt when I am slacking ...

Any way enough rambling for now.. For those who hav read all of this - wow and thanks for putting up with all of my typos :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Shellie-- we're in the same boat. Hang in there. I created some waves for being "blunt" in another post. My black and white view of the world offends people, so you'll understand if I tread somewhat lightly. Butt kickin' doesn't always go over well in this forum. :bigsmile:

I was at the doctor's office in June and saw some woman on The Today Show who'd lost 150. I was so mad at myself-- if she can lose 150, why am I such a whiny loser who can't take off the 50 I need? So I vowed that day to take off 50 by my next birthday in June. Nice long time to reach the goal-- and I'm 20 down already. I've battled my weight all my life, used food as comfort for just about any emotion there is, every crisis or trial thrown at me.

I've endured the cycle-- "I'm upset so I'm going to eat. I eat, I get fat. I'm fat, so I'm upset, so I'm going to eat." I finally have reached the point where I'm not going to make any excuses or whine about it anymore. I got myself fat, nobody held a gun to my head. I have to get myself thin and healthy , or stop *****in' about it

That's where I am at-- if you're there, too, super-- you're on the right track. Personally, I don't think lifelong weight control will be had until we take control of it, responsibility for it, ownership of it and lose any and all excuses and justifications.

I'm 20 pounds down and won't give up til I reach my goal, come hell or high water.

If you mean it that you want REAL motivation, replete with the occasional "stop whining" kick in the butt, like I could use now and then, well you've found your friend. I try to be the perky, all-positive cheerleader that a lot of people want, and it grates on my nerves. :bigsmile:

We got ourselves into this situation, now let's get ourselves out. You game??
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    common you can do this girl!!!! All of us who have lost a lot of weight have lost it ONE pound at a time!!! And you can do it too... you already have an awesome start with the weight you have lost ... its time to get off your hiney, stop making excuses stop feeling sorry for yourself and do it!!!!

(i hope that was booty kicking enough for ya)

you go girl!!
    jackie
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!! Making permanent changes is hard for me to but we obviously need it or we wouldn't be trying right? :flowerforyou:
  • Shellie1069
    Options
    hey thanks guys for the encouragement, and marlabrown I am game I can use the motivation and encouragement to keep it up (and the kick in the booty) .. there are days as we all have where throwing in the towl seems the easier but that wont get us anywhere....
  • atodaro
    atodaro Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    you can do it! Here's some stuff that helped me
    eat breakfast everyday including a lean protein
    Think raw No sugar No white flour
    Discover stevia
    avoid chemical sweeteners
    eat at least four meals a day
    be sure to get enough calories every day
    calculate a proper deficit ... Eating too little stops you metabolism
    visualize how you want to look and figure out emotional reasons why you want your goal
    write down your resins and review them everyday
    check out the tools on this website to figure out a proper deficit
    it is easier to cut out all alcohol than to cut back.
  • stefanienoel
    stefanienoel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here, so you've found another diet buddy! My reality check was going to the doctor 6 months ago and finding out that I have high blood pressure and seeing him write Obese on my chart. I'm 5'1 and 187 lbs and thought I didn't look too bad. Needless to day, I started watching what I ate, but not too closely. Then vacation came and along with that, the dreaded pictures. Seeing on film how heavy I had gotten made me so depressed that I decided I had 2 choices: stay the way I am, mopey, chunky, and unhappy, or 2. Do something about it. I chose option #2, had a pretty good start, fell off the wagon, got ran over by it, and now I'm starting all over again. So if you need booty kicking, I'm here, but I expect the same in return if I decide to slack off! :wink:
  • Shellie1069
    Options
    Well yesterday I went over calories by 163. In my defense ( no excuse) I got stuck at the mall with a cell phone issue and trying to fix it so ate at the food court, made half of a bad meal choice, had a slice of hawiian pizza and side salad when I should have gone accross the isle and I could have gotten a veggie sub or salad from Big Town Hero... I didnt get home til late so I did not get a chance to get in much for exercise other than pacing and walking the mall at a leasurly pace and standing for over an hour soooo I gave myself the exercise credit for only 30 min of walking at 2 mph. figured i couldnt have burned much more than that.....

Tonight come hell or high water I hit the treadmill for at least 30 min.. NO Excuses!!

I have a favorite healthy snack on my way to work I pick up a bag of cherries and during the day i have a bowl on my desk that holds about 2 cups and I nibble on them all day when it is slow .. 1 cup is only 74 calories :smile: and they are sweet and juicy so they taste good. :happy:

I have a cooler at my desk with 1 gallon of ice water in it and a 24 oz water bottle that i keep refilling.... lots of water and the side effect of that too.. LOL :blushing:

We'll see how the day progresses.. Have a good day :bigsmile: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    Wow!!! So many kindred spirits here. I want to lend my voice to this chorus as long as you'll be sure to tell me when I'm out of tune (i.e., when I need my butt kicked . . .)

I really appreciate your candor, Shellie. I can so totally relate. I am absolutely here to cheer you on. And in addition to the "tough love" of fanny kicking, I'm going to remind you that you have it in you to change things ~~ you stopped smoking!!!! You can do anything. Seriously. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

My approach is like atodaro's. I like the comment about "no alcohol is easier than cutting back." SOOOOOO true. I have made a commitment to not drink alcohol (any type; any variety; any amount) for 2 months. This has been the first week. I lost 2 pounds already. Not sure if it is the alcohol or my increased exercise but, whatever it is, I am thinking that I need to keep going with what is working right now.

Anyway . . . good luck to you. You certianly must know that you are not alone . . .
  • Shellie1069
    Options
    The alcohol is generally no problem for me I am not much of a drinker to begin with but with some of the extra stress I have from my Ex well... after a really ruff day a glass of wine or beer and bubble bath are very much needed.... maybe not needed, wanted... that's a better term. I think we all have those days from time to time... I have been finding sometimes I can blow off some of the steam getting on my treadmill and blasting the music and walking but not as much of the stress is burned as when I belonged to the gym.. if it wasn't for the time issue I would still be going to the gym.... maybe after a few months when things settle I can rejoin but for now .. I use my treadmill at home and the dumbell wieghts.. my son (he's 11) likes to use the wieghts and treadmill too so not all a bad thing right? I get to spend more time with him after work as well as hubby and as long as I can get my butt off the couch and on the treadmill still get my work outs :bigsmile:

Thatnk you all for the encouragement and tough love... It is helping me, really :happy:
  • cmaustin
    Options
    yay! you guys all sound like so much fun! I'm ToTaLlY in the same boat as most of you! I had a baby 9 months ago and still have 47lbs to loose! (well technically only 37 to get to my pre-preg weight but right before i got preg. i put on 10lbs so..)lol. its really nice to find a board where you guys actually say what you think! most weight loss boards DO have the people that try to be too sticky sweet nice and thats not really the type of encouragement i need either. so I'll help you all keep on track if you help me!
  • Shellie1069
    Options
    Survived the weekend... Although had a great fun weekend with my son and husband. we spent the weekend fishing, and playing on the river for 2 days, trying to stay cool. It was not so good for my diet but then i could have done worse.. much worse.... I took with us mostly healthy snacks lots of fruit and some chips.. had ice water and ice tea and lemonade no sodas... so all in all even though hard to track how many calories actually burned vs eaten i think it was not bad. now need to get back in the saddle at home... Have to get on the treadmill tonight.... :smile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    traveling and vacations are hard to track-- sounds like you did okay, though-- don't sweat it, though, if you don't lose, or even if you gain-- just get back on track!!

I'm heading out to run later with hubby, too-- you gotta check out the motivaton on another thread posted by kasuki-- kabuki? Karaoke? Oh well-- I forget the name-- but she posted an "after" photo down 60 pounds -- incredible motivational little message too reminding us that we can do this--

Keep swimmin' in the right direction, there Shellie!!:flowerforyou: :happy: