Shin Splints? Maybe?

Options
I will start this off by saying that I know little or nothing about what I'm about to ask. I've heard people say they have problems with shin splints and have had the pain described to me. While I don't have a memory of pain in my shins ever before yesterday, I think this pain I'm experiencing is exactly that. It's like the front of the bones hurt in my leg halfway between my ankle and knee. Every step is making me aware of the pain. I actually had it wake me up last night at one point. I have not taken anything, but the longer I'm off my feet the less the pain is noticeable.

Is what I'm feeling "shin splints"? What can be done to make it better. Should I take a day or two off from walking, running, etc? Sunday is my rest day normally and I all ready pushed myself through today's workout. Should I take off tomorrow and Sunday this week?

A little background, we (my family and I) walked yesterday from 10:30am to 8pm with only 2 - 30 minute breaks for lunch and dinner. Other than that the only sitting time was quick metro transfers at which time most of it I stood (no seats).

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    On the running website that has the C25K program there is a whole section about injury. I remember reading about shin splints there, I think. I know rest is usually recommended with a running injury. Stretching before and after any exercise reduces risk of injury, too.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

• qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you have shin splints sounds like you might, use heat after walking I like to have a hot bath then do this exercise while your sitting watching tv.
    Stretch your legs out and point your toes then draw the abc's with your toes do this 3 times. Do this each night and when it hurts it will help the pain go away
    Best of Luck
  • copperdave
    copperdave Posts: 146
    Options
    Calf stretches, calf stretches and more calf stretches. I've always suffered from shin splints and this is the only thing i know of that will make it better.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Rest for a day or so, make sure you do a TON of stretching before starting to walk/run, and start off slow. I had shin splints a couple of weeks ago but I'm doing just fine now. Don't try to take big strides when walking or running, and don't start off full pace.
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I had a horrendous case of shin splints about 6 years ago ... stretches, potassium and rest are the only thing (for me) that worked to get them to go away.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I got shin splints once when I was training for my half marathon. OMG that was so much pain. I could jog for 3 to 4 days. You just need to rest. What sucks even more is people with flat feet (like me) are more prone to getting it when running.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the advice!
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ooh, I can remember the pain. I had them last summer. After 2 weeks of suffering I finally went to the doctors. I had not been stretching my legs before walking and that is what caused them. Doc told me to me sure and stretch before and after my walks. It took a while to get back to normal. I also put cushioned insoles in my sneakers to help absorb some of the shock when walking. You may also want to ice them, maybe some Advil. I would sit in a chair and point and flex my feet whenever possible. That did help.