I'm thinking about training for a Triathlon

Options
I was reading Women's Health magazine and they have a 12 week training guide to get in shape for a triathlon. I want to do the training bad to lose weight, but I don't want to actually go through with the actual race, or whatever. My mum thinks I'm stupid, but I want to use it for an exercise guide. xD

Replies

• Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    go for it!! and good luck!
  • johannahooks
    Options
    You should go through with the actual race. I rank completely my first triathlon among my top accomplishments...ever. Beyond that...they're really fun.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! Changing up your excercise routine is a good thing =)
  • shantisyndrome
    shantisyndrome Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have bad asthma so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to races and all. I'll try to go through with it, but I'm definitely going to train! :)
  • sbrmom
    sbrmom Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Be careful - triathlons can be addictive :wink: Seriously, though, you really should do a tri if you complete a training plan for one. They are so much fun, and the sense of accomplishment after you finish one is amazing! My whole family is involved in the triathlon lifestyle - it is something we can all train for and compete in together!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I vote do it! I recently decided to train for my first one and onthe days I feel like skipping, I just imagine crossing the finish line and I suddenly feel like going furhter! It can't hurt to try it!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I vote do it! I recently decided to train for my first one and onthe days I feel like skipping, I just imagine crossing the finish line and I suddenly feel like going furhter! It can't hurt to try it!
  • sbrmom
    Options
    I have bad asthma so I'm a little paranoid when it comes to races and all. I'll try to go through with it, but I'm definitely going to train! :)

There are some top level pro triathletes that have asthma, but still compete and win! As you become more fit, hopefully your asthma symptoms will be reduced!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I say do it. You can always train and then consider competing. (I would bet you sign up though, because you will be in awesome shape and will have worked so hard!) I'm so jealous. I would love to do a tri but I cannot swim. do it for me ! :happy:
  • sbrmom
    Options
    I say do it. You can always train and then consider competing. (I would bet you sign up though, because you will be in awesome shape and will have worked so hard!) I'm so jealous. I would love to do a tri but I cannot swim. do it for me ! :happy:

There is a type of race called a duathlon ( run, bike, run). These are really fun, too! You could train for one of those if the swimming is an issue. Also, there are a lot of people that have learned to swim later in life, by taking some lessons and working on it! Go for it!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I would compete.

I say that because it's easier to stay on track when you have a goal like that.

Good luck! Triathlons are no joke.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Why not do it? it's a good, varied workout. And if you never go a triathlon, who cares? You may find at the end of the training, you want to, but that is your choice.
  • johannahooks
    Options
    Do not let asthma stop you. I, too, have horrible asthma...and the endurance training actually makes it a lot better. It increases your lung capacity making it a lot easier to breathe. The main thing is don't go too fast, don't get your heart rate too high, and it will help you avoid an asthma attack.