C25K or P90X?

Options
I'm well on my way of achieving the first part of my goal, by losing 45 pounds without ANY exercise. Thank you MFP!!!! Only 4 more lbs to go!

Next, is to start "working out", which I despise!

After that, I'm planning to quit smoking, and hope that this life style change does not put the weight back on. 6 years ago, I added 50 lbs to my frame after I quit smoking.

For those of you that have tried both the C25K and P90X, which do you prefer or suggest? I'm a BUSY man that struggles finding time to dedicate to working out.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies

• txbabes1
    txbabes1 Posts: 31
    Options
    Because you haven't been consistently working out, I would suggest you go easy at first. That being said, start with the C25K and then do P90.... and then, P90X.

Of course, that's only a suggestion. Good luck to you, and great job with the progress!!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    P90X is AWESOME, but very time-consuming. It's 60-90 minutes per day, 6-7 days per week. I consider myself a runner, and I like the freedom that it offers in time commitment. Training for an event can be time consuming, but you can run just a few days a week and it will still be highly beneficial.

Also, you won't want to smoke when you're running because it's all about the breathing!!

Congrats on losing almost 45lbs -- that is an amazing accomplishment and proves that you can do anything if you set your mind to it!! You have a gorgeous family, too!!
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    They have 2 very different goals. One is to make you into a runner, the other is for general fitness and strength. What are your goals? Do you want to run a 5k? Is running something you are interested it? I've only done c25K but I loved it...if that helps.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would probably stop smoking first. Running and smoking don't usually mix well.

P.S. Congrats on the weight loss :)
  • sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've never done the c25k, but I have p90x. It is brutal, but it produces results! I have done all of the workouts, and I have 5 or 6 that are my favorite. I do those a couple of times a week in addition to cardio. The only thing I don't like about p90x is that it really is more strength training than cardio. You still work up a good sweat, but it just doesn't get my heart pumping like an hour on the elliptical does. I want to run the "turkey trot" 5k on Thanksgiving with my sister, so I will be looking into the c25k soon. I've heard great things about it!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well, since you haven't been exercising, I would suggest C25K. It's 3 times a week and 30 minutes with warm up and cool down. It, however, is just cardio and no weights. I LOVE P90X, but it has a time commitment of at least an hour 6 days a week. But, the weights that it incorporates will help to build muscle that will rev your metabolism more than just cardio can.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. C25k will be more cardiovascualr fitness. P90x is more for toning and building strong muscles.

While running is great and has its many benefits, I only do it when I can't find any other machines for my warm up. One main reason I stopped running regularly is the flat butt it tends to result. If you look at most runners bodies, they have very strong legs but a flatter butt. Hope this helps.
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about a month ago. Although I feel like a cheater b/c I bought a green smoke ecig... Love it btw - and my Dr encouraged it as a method to quit (NOT as a life long replacement).
    Now I am in week 2 of C25K - I use the one by NHS and I LOVE IT.
    I've always been an athlete - played college sports... but have never been a runner so to speak.
    So for me to actually look forward to a run is surprising me.

I don't have any experience with P90 - so I can't compare the two.

Everyone is different - so try one out - if you hate it - try something new ; )
    Good luck with the last few lbs!! You can do it! Look how far you have already come - amazing!!
  • gaelichound
    gaelichound Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress so far! I know how hard it is to fit it all in but once you start working out I think you'll enjoy seeing the changes in your body composition that come with it! I've not gone through the C25K program although I am a runner and enjoy a good 5K, but I have gone through the P90X program and am going to start another round soon. My personal recommendation is to start with the 5K. That's how I quit smoking and that's really important for about a million reasons. You'll find that smoking is holding you back from completing the program and you'll want to quit even more. Plus, running helps keep the weight off. P90X is a program that you need to dedicate an hour and 15 minutes to 6 days a week. It's a great program and I'm looking forward to doing it again! Keep in mind too that P90X is designed for people who want to ramp up their workouts. I wouldn't recommend it for someone who isn't already working out.

Whatever you decide I hope you embrace it and, no matter what, don't ever give up!
  • joeclanton
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input here! Support is an awesome motivator!