Getting Ready.. here it goes

Options
Hi everyone! my name is Sherri. i've never really had good eating habbits... laziness and lack of money has made fast food a part of my main diet. (and y is healthy food more expensive then fast food!) Even still.. i'm not overwieght yet but i might be getting close. Also i have quit smoking almost 2 months ago and i know staying quit is more important then a few extra pounds... i definatly have to learn to excercise some how......i'd just like to keep my wieght under control... i certainly don't want to be super skinny... just healthy, a little skinny, i'd like to tone up and then just keep it under control. Well here it goes.. thanx for listening... any tips would be greatly apperciated

Replies

• sherris
    sherris Posts: 112
    Options
    Hi everyone! my name is Sherri. i've never really had good eating habbits... laziness and lack of money has made fast food a part of my main diet. (and y is healthy food more expensive then fast food!) Even still.. i'm not overwieght yet but i might be getting close. Also i have quit smoking almost 2 months ago and i know staying quit is more important then a few extra pounds... i definatly have to learn to excercise some how......i'd just like to keep my wieght under control... i certainly don't want to be super skinny... just healthy, a little skinny, i'd like to tone up and then just keep it under control. Well here it goes.. thanx for listening... any tips would be greatly apperciated
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! You are lucky to be starting before your weight is an issue to you. When I was just getting my 'gut' someone told me it would be a lot easier to maintain than to lose it later.

In a way I'm not too sure about that. For me, that would have meant the past 10 or 15 years of watching my weight and diet as opposed to 4 months getting it off (assuming I keep on track, that is). But, I've never had the pleasure of 'maintaining', so I can't really say. Yet.

Anyway, good luck!!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    welcome sherris-
    If you add up what you spend on fast food, and what it is doing to your health, eating healthy isn't that much more expensive. You don't have to spend a lot on food. It is choosing the better foods. Like buying whole wheat pasta instead of reg pasta. Sometimes you can get them for just about the same price. Watch your ads. Save Mart will sometimes run boneless skinless for 1.99 or less per pound. Break that down and it is cheaper per chicken breast than going to fast food. It is possible to eat cheaper at home. Just remember once you get stocked up on that basics, then when you have to fill in the other items, it's not too bad.
    I am feeding a family of four on less than $115 a week. Than includes buying 2 fifty pound bags of dog food twice a month.
    I wish you luck, and you can do it. Home cooking tastes so much better too.
    Welcome
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Sherris and welcom to the MFP Team...I think you'll find it most helpful...fruits and vegetables aren't too too expensive...it does take a little research and planning to eat healthy and watch your weight...this is a perfect time in your life, having had quit smoking...Bravo!

Have you ever thought of taking Bellydance classes to kick start your exercise routine...it is so much fun and the benefits are many...it is a femine toning and cardio dance exercise...it is a great way to network with other women and there are many events and shows to attend beyond the actual classes...the most I've ever paid for a class is $15.00 an hour...I take classes once a week and practice and workout to DVDs at home.

This picture was taken 20lbs ago...I'm now at 168 and have about 40 to go...my weight issue was caused by my diet...I've always loved food and all the fancy high calorie foods...I'm learning how to eat lean now, I miss my old slimmer self...a few short years ago I was in excellent shape...I began accumulating weight at age 45...now at 50, I've begun to do something about it.

So happy for you that you found this website!

Best to you,
    Fat Dancer