OLYMPICS!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I'm so curious....what does he eat? I'm sure I'll be incredibly jealous, but the curiosity is killing me.

And yes, he is so incredibly talented. But I LOVE Rafeal Nadal. He is gorgeous. I did my work out to his tennis match yesterday. Boy, talk about motivation!!!!

8000-10000 calories A DAY!!!!!!! Insanity. He basically eats whatever the heck he wants.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    The Olympic Diet of Michael Phelps
    Questions and answers about the high-calorie diet that fuels the Olympic swimmer's championship performance.
    By Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD
    WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDAug. 13, 2008 -- His body may resemble the trim, athletic figure of Michelangelo's statue of David, but the diet of Michael Phelps sure doesn't sound like the stuff of champions.

The U.S. Olympic swimmer told ESPN that he eats roughly 8,000-10,000 calories a day, including "lots of pizza and pasta." In addition to stuffing down carbs, he's said that he routinely eats foods like fried egg sandwiches.

So exactly how do all those calories help fuel the most decorated Olympic athlete in history? Here are some questions and answers about the Michael Phelps diet.

(For a slideshow of Olympic athletes in action -- and to learn their training secrets -- see WebMD's How to Get an Olympic Body.)

How can Michael Phelps eat 10,000 calories a day and still be so lean?
    There is no doubt he packs away a ton of food, but it is unlikely that he actually eats that many calories a day, an expert believes. University of Pittsburgh Director of Sports Nutrition Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD, says eating 10,000 calories a day is almost impossible. "To consume 10,000 calories a day, he would need to be eating all day long."

Bonci estimates that to support his 6-foot-4-inch, approximately 190-pound frame, Phelps' rigorous training regime requires roughly 1,000 calories per hour while he is racing or training; she suggests he probably eats closer to 6,000 calories per day.

What does Michael Phelps eat for breakfast?
    NBC commentator Bob Costas rattled off Phelps' breakfast menu, which includes three sandwiches of fried eggs, cheese, lettuce, tomato, fried onions, mayonnaise, an omelet, a bowl of grits, three slices of French toast with powdered sugar, and three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Without knowing the exact details of the portions, recipes, and ingredients, this meal probably contains roughly 3,000 calories, about half from carbohydrates, a little less than half from fat, and 15% from protein. It's not a bad distribution of major nutrients for competition, according to dietary recommendations, assuming the breads are whole grain, the cheese is low fat, and the fats used to fry the eggs are healthy. The addition of fruit would improve the nutritional profile of this meal, Bonci says.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Speaking of olympics, did the US women's gynmastics team get the shaft. I didn't see it for myself, but I read that there was a huge delay before one performance that my have caused alicia sacramone to get out of her rythym and ultimately lose the gold.

Actually, the US women's gymnastic team did themselves in. Yes, there was a missed mount on the balance beam... but there was also 2 different out of bounds passes on the floor exercise. :noway: China's team also had a fall off the beam, but we simply couldn't hold up under the pressure.
    But then, we won't go into the whole age issue of the age of the girls in the CHN team :grumble:
    I just wish that they would get the camera out of the girls face after she has blown it, and needs a moment to recompose herself (any team, any athlete deserves better than that). :sad:
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I'm so curious....what does he eat? I'm sure I'll be incredibly jealous, but the curiosity is killing me.

And yes, he is so incredibly talented. But I LOVE Rafeal Nadal. He is gorgeous. I did my work out to his tennis match yesterday. Boy, talk about motivation!!!!

8000-10000 calories A DAY!!!!!!! Insanity. He basically eats whatever the heck he wants.

they were doing an interview with him and he said that he has to eat that many calories a day, and I swear he said between 10-12000 per day, they were showing him going into all of his favorite places to eat! it was a hoot!

That's a 3 lb weight gain for us "normal" people.! lol
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Speaking of olympics, did the US women's gynmastics team get the shaft. I didn't see it for myself, but I read that there was a huge delay before one performance that my have caused alicia sacramone to get out of her rythym and ultimately lose the gold.

Actually, the US women's gymnastic team did themselves in. Yes, there was a missed mount on the balance beam... but there was also 2 different out of bounds passes on the floor exercise. :noway: China's team also had a fall off the beam, but we simply couldn't hold up under the pressure.
    But then, we won't go into the whole age issue of the age of the girls in the CHN team :grumble:
    I just wish that they would get the camera out of the girls face after she has blown it, and needs a moment to recompose herself (any team, any athlete deserves better than that). :sad:

I agree. I just felt so bad for that poor girl, and I was doing the same thing....get that camera out of her face and give her a minute.

Hey Jam.....I see that ticker moving! way to go!
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

I agree. I just felt so bad for that poor girl, and I was doing the same thing....get that camera out of her face and give her a minute.

Hey Jam.....I see that ticker moving! way to go!

Heya watch48win; mucho thanxo! It's only the first down tic, but it feels really good! Guess it's kinda like the Olympics in a very small way, it's about discipline, training, and mental focus!
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I loved the little "day in the life of Phelps" deal they did. What an awesome dog. He did comment that all he does is eat, sleep, and swim. Have any of you ever seen a 23 year-old eat? I believe he could get up that high.

I was amazed by the synchronized diving!! Those Chinese guys are awesome!!!

And superman, I don't think you look that silly.