1200 Calorie Minimum

Options
I am having a really hard time getting the calories I need without going over my limit on protein. Any suggestions?

Replies

• kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am having a really hard time getting the calories I need without going over my limit on protein. Any suggestions?
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    I would like this one answered as well. I usually at least DOUBLE my protein! I can generally keep my calories where they should be (adjusted for exercise and all) just can't keep the ratios. Also, I am trying to build muscle while losing fat and I read in Men's Health that I should be getting 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight (most of my exercise is strength training). Any thoughts anyone?
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    i would say as long as you're staying within your calorie range and getting enough of the complex carbs and fiber, its def. okay to go over on your protien. I believe mine is set for somewhere around 40grams and i usually shoot for at least 80-100, if i dont my body feels tired and sore from my intense workouts. (always have to be careful with high protien intakes because of its effect on your kidneys and digestive system, is has been linked to kidney problems and colon cancer). but if you're drinking enough water and eating enough fiber to keep your "system" moving, you should be golden!! :)

hope that helps
  • babadee
    babadee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you as long as you don't go way overboard. It helps your body. I try to go over the numbers with fiber and protein but keep the rest of my numbers under the suggested goal. :wink:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    This is a COMMON question on here - I see it on the boards all the time!!!

The short answer is that the majority of people tend not to worry about protein levels (most agree that the levels are set too low anyway) and look at overall calories acheived with a balance of healthy foods. I always go over on protein, and am low on the carbs - it's just how I eat!

:flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Plan your day prior to eating.

Add more fruits and veggies (ya knew I was going to say it!), smaller meat proportions.

If you plan before your start your day, there won't be any questions at the end of the night.
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Merci beaucoup to all!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I agree with PrincessLaundry,
    eat more plants, less animals.
    Your protein should go down.
    But you should also know that if you are weight lifting or trying to build muscle, its not bad to go over on your protein intake, it helps fuel your muscles. So don't feel too bad about going over.
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Great ideas and now I feel better. I knew I could count on you!:flowerforyou: