over-inflated calories from exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Mines the other way round - MFP is less calories than the gym says. I log what the machine says
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS subtract. I rather underestimate than overestimate.<
    does that make sense?lol
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    After I got my HRM I found MFP to give a lot less than what my HRM read. For one of my exercises it was 300 calories less than what my HRM showed. If you feel more comfortable logging less time to get less calories then do it. I used to do that (although I was way off base) but it felt safer to me.
  • timplar
    timplar Posts: 19
    Options
    I agree, the MFP numbers are inflated. I use a HRM, but on the days that I've actually used MFP, I only record 80% of the number it says.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    I was worried too, bought an HRM and found that it was over calculating on most, and in some cases I was burning more that I expected. So I'm glad I got the HRM and I feel at least it is more accurate for me! I don't eat all my exercise calories back, because I don't trust all the calorie counts and I would rather be safe than sorry in most instances!
  • miranda52
    Options
    I agree, I always subtract a bunch of calories from what it actually says I burn.
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    :smile: MFP goes off the amount of calories burned that you inputted the first time you logged that exercise. From that point on it is giving you an estimate of what you did that first day. MFP doesn't know if you had a good or bad workout day, so just use good judgement until/if you choose to invest in a personal HRM. :smile:
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    i always thought the ones on mfp were high but then i bought and tested my hrm.... turns out i burn MORE than what mfp was giving me

Me too!

But recently the numbers are averaging out probably because I'm losing weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!