Running? Is it possible... ME of all people?

Options
I am a total beginner to running, I've never been able to run, I don't think I'm built for it. And.. well running is something that happens to other people, right? Fit, slim, athletic people!

BUT - after going to the gym three times a week since February I've progressed from being a total basket case with a clicky often painful knee to being only moderately unfit and with a knee that works most of the time and is rarely sore. Trouble is, I was finding that walking on the treadmill isn't enough to raise my heart rate, and walking at over 15% elevation was just too hard - more like a strength workout than cardio!

So, I started intermittently walking and jogging every so often, at the old Scouts Pace.

Well, my knee seemed to be taking it okay, so out of curiosity to see whether I could, and to liven up my cardio at the gym, I did the first workout of C25K on the treadmill yesterday.

Thing is... I'm pretty overweight (BMI of 29.something) and I've never really felt comfortable running. I'm intrigued by the idea of running that far (right now it looks about as achievable as climbing Everest!) but does anyone think someone like me stands any chance of success with this C25K thing?

EDITED TO ADD: When I say I'm not built for it, I mean I'm 4' 10", I weigh 138lb, of which the majority is firmly lodged below my waist.

Replies

• TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm 45 years old, 195 lbs and just finished week 5 of the c210k. (c210k is different from c25k in that the runs are shorter, the walking/recovery is longer but the workout is 1 hour instead of c25k's 30 minutes).

I couldn't run HALF of W1/D1 (c25k). Tomorrow I'll be running 3 mins/walking 2 mins THIRTEEN times (I'm starting week 6 of c210k). If you had told me 7 weeks ago, I'd be doing that, I would have fallen over laughing. :laugh:

Oh... and I'm with you on type of body (I'm very pear shaped with most of the pear being butt, thighs and tummy).

** edited to add - don't worry about pace right now, just go as fast as you need to to finish. The other day an old lady (in her 70's) was on the treadmill next to me - she was walking as fast as I ws running! LOL!
  • thom3315
    thom3315 Posts: 1
    Options
    You can do it!! I ran my first race last month (7K race) weighing over 200lbs!! I had knee problems when I first started running as well & now they feel great. I currently run 3-4 times a week & do other aerobics/strength training on days I don't run. I did not use the C25K program but I started running in a similar manner of walking and adding in bouts of running. I think you can be successful running. If you want more information on how I got started & how I have progressed, let me know.
  • cutelashawn
    cutelashawn Posts: 182
    Options
    Start off slow with running. I know exactly where u are coming from. I use to fear running. Especially in front of people at the gym, but as I was starting to workout more and become more confident I cna now run/walk. I can do an High intensity Interval (HIIT) run ont he treadmill for 1 min and then walk for 2 mins and then run again. Then actually builds up ur metablolism and help u to burn fat. Check out some of the HIIT workouts ont he treadmill on you tube and in no time u will be able to keep up with people at the gy,. You might need to get an knee brace to help stabalize your kneee, I have the same problem also. Good luck to u on ur journey
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    First off... throw away BMI as a way of indicating your weight. It is often so out to lunch that its funny... After all with a BMI of 29 your border line Obese... but you have some good company... by BMI standards Reggie Bush of the New Orleans Saints is morbidly obese and so am I (see profile pic)

Secondly the only way you'll know for sure its to try. I did and I now weigh 228 lbs. I was 320+. I have completed several half and full marathons since I started running 3 years ago. Put in perspective... you are looking to run 5 Kilometers, a full marathon is 42 Kilometers.

So... let me put it this way... Yes... you can do the C25K thing, because if I can do it... so can you. You just gotta believe in yourself!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all those responses, you have all done so well, that is really inspiring. I guess I've just never thought of myself as someone who could run. It's still quite an intimidating thought, but maybe I will give the full thing a go. :)

Jeff, in my case the BMI is pretty accurate, I am borderline obese. I quoted that because if I say I'm 138lb, a lot of people react by saying that I'm pretty light - but when you're well under five foot, there's nowhere for it all to go!
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    If I can do the C25K program, anyone can.

Old classmates on facebook were shocked I, yes, I was running. I was not an athlete whatsoever growing up.

I ran for the first time last year at the age of 42.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Nuttyfamily, me neither, until a few weeks ago I don't think I ever ran a step in my life - unless forced to by a ***** of a games teacher at school, who put me off anything physical for life! Or, I thought she had. :)

It's a lovely day out there, which lured me into doing Week 1 Day 2 - outside!

I was struggling towards the end, but I did it. The surprising thing though, was that I actually enjoyed being outside, running along the fields. I was thinking too hard about what I was doing to worry about all those people driving past who would have seen me wobbling up the road like a jelly!

Even if I don't get any further than this, walking 90 running 60 was still a fun thing to do. :)
  • peytjalmom
    Options
    So proud of you! Running outside is the BEST! Your post sounds exactly like me six months ago, except for the height. I'm 6 feet. But never thought I could run for exercise. I started out walk/jogging then progressed to jogging 30 minutes a day, sometimes 40(2-3 miles). At first, I tied a jacket around my waist so my neighbors didn t have to look directly at my bouncing hiney. Everything bounced. I jogged s l o w l y. Now things definitely do not bounce as much and I ran a mile in 11 minutes the other day! Not lightening speed but amazing to me! Me..of all people...seriously?

If you knee holds up, running may strengthen it. Make sure you have good form. I've been given great advice from this site to jog from the balls of the foot and not to "heel strike'. Thats hard on the knees. If you focus on not bouncing too much like me, you re probably going to have the right form.

Went running outside yesterday evening and timed it just to watch thunderstorms form over our area. It was beautiful! And once again was amazed after the first five minutes(of huffing and puffing) how my body kicks in and continues on.

Keep training and you can get there....if I can, you can!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    Well I'm 5'10 and as of this morning I weighed 261.8 pounds. I can run for 40 minutes straight on a good day and I started the C25K at the beginning of the year. It took me a while and I had a few setbacks but I did it. So absolutely yes - you can do it as well.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I found running outside when doing the Cto5K was easier for me. I too had a very bad knee and thought the treadmill would be best, but it wasn't. I found I hurt less and ran further outside. I say start the program and see how your body does. Some people are runners and some are not but you won't know 100% until you keep trying. You are going to be sore for a while, but the pain should not continue after doing it for a while. I would also go to a running clinic and see if you are running correctly as that is very important. Good Luck!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Thank you so much for all these responses, and all the great advice.

Peytjalmom you obviously understand how I feel, your encouragement has helped to convince me that I can do this. You have also given me a good reason to not to be upset when this warm weather breaks - I can wear something round my waist to spare the neighbours!

My knee, surprisingly, hasn't given me any trouble at all as yet. I now realise that resting it every time it started playing up, and avoiding doing anything that might put some strain on it was totally the wrong way to deal with the injury. Even though it's been dodgy since I twisted it four years ago, during the last few months that I've been working out in the gym it has vastly improved. :)

EDITED TO ADD: There was one "problem" though. I ran out of the city and into the countryside - enjoyed it so much I didn't feel like turning back at the 15 minute point, and ended up with rather a long walk home! :D
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all these responses, and all the great advice.

Peytjalmom you obviously understand how I feel, your encouragement has helped to convince me that I can do this. You have also given me a good reason to not to be upset when this warm weather breaks - I can wear something round my waist to spare the neighbours!

My knee, surprisingly, hasn't given me any trouble at all as yet. I now realise that resting it every time it started playing up, and avoiding doing anything that might put some strain on it was totally the wrong way to deal with the injury. Even though it's been dodgy since I twisted it four years ago, during the last few months that I've been working out in the gym it has vastly improved. :)

EDITED TO ADD: There was one "problem" though. I ran out of the city and into the countryside - enjoyed it so much I didn't feel like turning back at the 15 minute point, and ended up with rather a long walk home! :D

Nice problem to have though... right? No point in running if you never stop to smell the roses! :wink:
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Jeffrodgers:
    Nice problem to have though... right? No point in running if you never stop to smell the roses! :wink:
    You're absolutely right - plus it's downhill on the way home, it was a lovely walk, and it's all extra calories! :)

Trouble is, I want to do it again now...

I won't, because I've been caught in the "too much too soon" trap before with climbing and ended up with tennis elbow, but it's SO tempting on a lovely day like today. I'm telling myself that this time next year I'll be fit enough to be able to do as much as I want.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I have NEVER saw myself as running, back in middle and high school when we did the fitness test, I always came in last for the one mile run. ALWAY at around 22 minutes.

I decided to start the C25K program back in Oct. That first day was a nightmare! But I was able to do W5D3! 20 LONG minutes! I was slow as hell, but I did it!

I am still slow. My BMI is still at 31. My typical out door mile is still around 14-15 minutes. My typical outdoor 5 K is around 45. My typical treadmill 5K is between 36-40. Me?!!! Running!! Shocking!

Go with it! You don't need to speed, remember ANY movement is better than none. ;)
  • TourThePast
    Options
    You don't need to speed, remember ANY movement is better than none. ;)
    That is extremely valuable reminder...

I should resign myself to always being the slowest, it's always been that way even when I was fit and hiking a lot, because I have absurdly short legs. I was jogging (briefly) in the gym last week at 6kph, and realised I was matching the tall guy next to me pace for pace - I glanced over at his treadmill and it read 12kph!
  • exercisechic927
    exercisechic927 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you already have knee problems....I myself would not run. It puts the most impact on your joints and can hurt you in the long run with developing arthritis at an earlier age. But see how it feels if you can run without pain then do it but if you can't I would stay away from it....sorry :(
  • TourThePast
    Options
    But see how it feels if you can run without pain then do it but if you can't I would stay away from it....sorry :(
    Thanks for the warning. Since I've been exercising, my knee has improved a lot, and running hasn't made it hurt yet but the last thing I want is to do it damage.

I'm not massively invested in the idea of running, though I am excited by the challenge - if it starts hurting my knee I'll do something else.
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I weighed 220 lbs and had never set foot in a gym in my life I was sure I wasn't runner material. Even once I started working out the treadmills intimidated me - I lost almost all my weight through elliptical, swimming, and rowing - and I had bad tendinitis in my ankles that even made walking a challenge at times. As I got in better shape my ankles began to strengthen and when I learned about interval training I decided to try it on the treadmill since I found intervals on the elliptical tedious. That was before I knew about the C25K, but basically by varying my intervals and doing longer running times I suddenly found myself able to do a 5K! Then I started going outdoors, which was an adjustment, but again over time I was able to run 4, even 5 miles without stopping.

Fast forward to when I got pregnant. I ran up until 30 weeks and then didn't start up again until my baby was 8 months old. I couldn't even do 2 mins jog on the treadmill, let alone even one mile. This was in January. Now I'm back up to 5K thanks to the C25K and recently started a workout meant to get me from 5K to 10K. I never in a million years thought I'd be a runner, but anyone truly can do it!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about shoes. That helps with knee problems.

One size does not fit all.

Check out my bottom link if you need more info.
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Don't forget about shoes. That helps with knee problems.
    Unfortunately, as I have such small feet (size US 4, UK 1.5, EU34) my choices are extremely limited.

I have managed to find a pair of "Nike Dart 8" kids shoes, the adult version of which is sold as a running shoe, but I've no idea whether the kids version is suitable. Any advice you could offer to someone with such small feet would be extremely helpful.

Due to a big toe problem I'm already wearing orthos, but with them I haven't had any trouble for literally years now.

EDITED TO ADD: Sorry I should have mentioned, I did read your link and the do shoe dog thing, but it only brought up shoes that are too big for me.