Are clothes made smaller nowadays or what?

Options
poesch77
poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
So I went to try and get a pair of new jeans ( since I own only 2 pair with holes in the crotch!) and maybe a new shirt for Easter....what a joke! Everything is either stretch or very unflattering!! I am stuck in the middle for clothes...too fat for reg. clothes unless it is xxl in womens yet when I try on a 1x it is wide and I look like it is hanging off of me...now mind you baggy is fine but I had a baby almost 5 months ago and don't need to look like I am wearing maternity! So frustrating...this is probably why I never go shopping for myself! Anybody else have this problem...being in between sizes?

Replies

• brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have had that same problem with shirts lately. The larges are too small and the X-Larges are too big!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    They definitely are. I am wearing the same size now as I was when I weighed 30 pounds more 10 years ago....yet my measurements are way less.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Actually a lot of clothing manufacturers increased the size of the clothes for a given size. It seems to me that a lot of clothing manufacturers are out of touch with the populace in clothing design, leading to your problem.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I say the same thing. I'm either too fat or too small.
  • zoecas2125
    zoecas2125 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Lol, clothes shopping is never fun. I feel your pain. I have a D cup and sometimes shirts make me look like I'm pregnant. I don't even have any kids of my own. And shopping for pants is hard. I'm a size 12, but I don't have much of a booty and hips so I end up having a lot of loose material.

The key is to be patient with yourself. And also try and shop at different stores. I usually shop at Old Navy, but there clothes don't always fit me well. I went to another store and the clothes fit much better. And I didn't mind paying more $ because the clothes were quality and fit me the way I wanted too.

5093613.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Actually a lot of clothing manufacturers increased the size of the clothes for a given size. It seems to me that a lot of clothing manufacturers are out of touch with the populace in clothing design, leading to your problem.

I think there is a tremendous amount of vanity sizing out there, meaning that clothes in any given size have gotten LARGER. At my MFP start weight, I was wearing a size 12 pant. When I weighed the same amount, 27 years ago, I could BARELY squeeze into a 16/18. My mother's wedding dress, which has a label stating it's a 12 (from 1961) only ever fit me when I was a modern-day (late 90s/early 2000s) size 4. My mother has put on over 40 ppounds over the last 10 years, yet has only gone up one size because the clothes themselves simply keep getting larger in the same size. So if anything, sizes have been increasing!

But yes, there will be points along the way where you are in-between sizes. Sometimes switching manufacturers helps, or looking for a different 'cut' will help to solve the problem.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    . So if anything, sizes have been increasing!

[/quote]

Great....so I must be really a size 24......plus size is cut too wide.....I might as well wear a flippin tent! I am curvy and voluptuous not short and wide!!
  • microfat
    microfat Posts: 44
    Options
    Yes!

I don't bother buying new jeans until i'm done with my weight loss.. jeans are a pain in the butt!!!! the worse item you could purchase infact.. hard to find a good pair. for me either there to big or to tight.

I just tend to purchase clothes that are fitted at he bust but flare out on the tummy and hips ( smock tops/baby doll dresses and top, maxi dresses) that way i can still wear these tops even if i loose weight.. otherwise i'm just wasting my money on clothes i know wont fit me within a month or so... so yes there is this period of not looking your best in clothes and feeling like a frump but its worth it because your on your progress.

Best of luck

Sandy
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    depends on where you shop and what section. I am a 14/16 in most places but walmart I am size 20, fashion bug right fit pants I am any where from a 14 blue a 16 red or a 22 yellow and all dont fit just right
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    depends on where you shop and what section. I am a 14/16 in most places but walmart I am size 20, fashion bug right fit pants I am any where from a 14 blue a 16 red or a 22 yellow and all dont fit just right

That's a good point--inexpensively made clothes will often run smaller than other brands.
  • tazlady
    tazlady Posts: 60
    Options
    clothes today are a joke. I am a 14/16 and all the jeans they sell or most are sold in the stretch style which I hate. I heard a really good idea though. Someone told me to start shopping at the thrift shop cause the clothes there are true to form . Not like all the stick figure clothes they have out now. Another idea is to have them altered. Find someone who does sewing for a decent price and get your clothes fitted to you. Not the other way around.. have a great day. :smile: