Losing just a little weight / toning up

Options
Hello everyone,

I am at what is considered a 'healthy weight' for my size. I'm 5'4" and weigh 138 pounds. My BMI is within normal, but its the higher side of normal. I want to lose about 20 pounds. If if the fat converts is replaced by muscle and I dont end up losing much, then that is fine, but I want to look fitter.

I'm having trouble. I'm eating about 1200 calories a day and jogging about 30 minutes 6 days a week and walking on the off day. I don't seem to be losing any weight. Has anyone else struggled to lose weight when they are close to what they should be?

p.s: I do drink 8 glasses of water, so its not that my body is storing water or anything. I don't think im in 'starvation mode' either i'm never hungry at the end of the day.

Replies

• minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I'm up the high end now of my BMI but really don't have super amounts to lose. It's being quite a slow process for me. I'm at 1200 cal/day and eating back most of my exercise cals but still netting about 1000/1100.. it's slow but it's coming off. I notice more with my measurements than the scales which is probably a better way for you to judge too.
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    1200 calories seem to few considering the workouts you have been doing.
    you might want to step that up closer to 1500. My wife eats about that many when working out and she has been losing at about 1 1/2 lbs per week. she is now at 126 and has bumped her calories up to 1800 to maintain.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get toned, you need to do more than run and walk. Add in some strengh training or even just add squats, lunges, push ups, etc. to your work out routine. You can't do the same thing every day and expect your body to change. Eventually it will get used to that routine and plateau.