Problem with Polar FT4 HRM and swimming laps

Options
Pool water was at 72 degrees F this afternoon so I thought I'd try out my Polar FT4 heart rate monitor. (I did check website manual before using in pool and Polar FT4 is supposed to be water resistant to 30M.)

However, it kept saying "check heart transmitter" about every lap or two. If I stood up in the shallow end, (chest strap out of water) it would start working again. I swam for a bout 15 minutes total, and just used the watch for the time. I logged the MFP calories instead of the hrm.

Any advice? Would water temp affect it?

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i didn't even know the ft4s were water resistant !! best of luck :)
  • McPenguin
    McPenguin Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm interested to know the answer too, since I really want an accurate HRM, but 1/2 my workouts are in the pool...
  • Blackened_rose
    Blackened_rose Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Water resist and Water proof are two very different things and could be what is affecting your monitor... water resist means it will repel water for a short time before risking permanent damage to internal components whereas water proof = hermetically sealed for component protection. Water temp could be a problem as it is probably slow leaking into the main component compartment. Best solution invest in one designed specifically in the pool rated for both being water proof and low temp.
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i knew it was water resistant, but i haven't tried getting in the pool with it... im interested to see answers that are given.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try mine in the water yet since I am too nervous lol I did read though that maybe too much chemicals in the water can affect it, as well as the strap shifting with movement when swimming
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Maybe it wasn't tight enough and when you moved with your strokes it came away from your body and stopped sensing it. I am not sure if the water had anything to do with it. I often wet my sensors with cold water, and it picks up fine.
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hmm...the chest strap thing is supposed to be a little damp to allow for current to flow between your body & the contacts. My guess (and my knowledge of science comes purely from watching Star Trek & reading comic books) is that the large volume of water that you're swimming in is messing up the contacts on the unit so that it can't get a read on your body OR (& more likely) the chest unit is getting a read but cannot transmit through the water as readily as through air and thus the watch can't pick up the signals.

Again...pure guesswork based on fictional sources.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Water resistent does not mean waterproof. It also may not function properly in the water.
    I had asked about HRM's that can be used for swimming on here before but only got info about water resistence.
    Maybe it can be worn and wont be damaged by contact water, but won't actually work in the water because of the need for transmission of signal?
    Remember that resisitence doesn't mean that it is protected from the water.
    I would contact the makers and check to be certain.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I read an article that said the chlorine in pool water interferes with the signal from the chest strap to the watch unit.
  • lotty1987
    lotty1987 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I use an FT40 in a pool whilst doing aqua fit and swimming - i love it and it works well ! - I did email polar before using it and they said it may not work well in very chlorinated (typo?) water. Try keeping it tighter against you - do not press the buttons in the water though x
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    the polar ft4 should be perfectly ok for swimming laps with - it says so in the manual! it does say however not to press any buttons whilst your underwater.

this is a link to the online manual for ft4 http://www.polar.fi/e_manuals/FT4/Polar_FT4_user_manual_English/Polar_FT4_user_manual_EN.pdf

it could be that the strap isnt quite tight enough whilst moving but when u stand up in the shallow end thats putting the strap back in the correct position.

the water shouldnt affect it - i used to use the older polar hrm when i swam competitively for training and they worked perfectly fine.
  • sanddollar
    sanddollar Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!! FYI, I have a salt water pool so hopefully that means less chlorine, unless the salt is not good for the hrm. Oh, I didn't press any buttons while underwater, but I did press buttons out of water to switch from heart rate to the time and calories.

I also just checked both the watch and transmitter and both seem to work fine (about 5 hours after being in the pool).

I'll try calling the company if they have a phone number on their website and let you all know what I hear. In the meantime I'll try making the strap tighter.

Thanks!!!!
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've used my FT4 in the pool.
    I think the trick is to make the strap as tight as you can bear it as it can move with the rotation of the body.
    Good Luck.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Salt water pool changes the salt = Na to chlorine= NACl.
  • cho64
    cho64 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used mine for first time today and had no problems with it at all
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I tried today at an aqua zumba class so the strap was in and out of the water but it didn't work. The instructions say it should work for swimming etc. so it should be okay. I think as others have said that it's probably the chlorine and the strap moving around. I just want to get mine to work once so I know roughly how many calories - will try with it tighter next time.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    Aha I tightened the strap for my water workout class last night and it worked :) I was in and out of the water with strap and watch and all fine. So yes if it's not working tighten it so the chlorine can't get in!
  • Cheriselaboss851
    Options
    Water Resistance of the Polar FT4 Training Computer
    Polar FT4 may be worn when swimming. To maintain water resistance, do not press buttons under water.
    For more information, visit http://www.polar.fi/support. Water resistance of Polar products is tested
    according to International Standard ISO 2281. Products are divided into three categories according to
    their water resistance. Check the back of your Polar product for the water resistance category, and
    compare it to the chart below. Please note that these definitions do not necessarily apply to products of
    other manufacturers.
    Marking on case back Water resistant characteristics
    Water resistant Protected against wash splashes, sweat, raindrops etc. Not suitable for
    swimming.
    Water resistant 30 m/50 m
    WR 30M/ WR 50M
    Suitable for bathing and swimming
    Water resistant 100 m
    WR 100M
    Suitable for swimming and snorkeling (without air tanks)

I couldn't find anything about the strap specifically though.. and that's what I am concerned about! hmm...
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to wash it every 5 uses, so it is fine in water. Also, since neither piece can work without the other, I think the reference to "Polar FT4 Training Computer" refers to the set of pieces. I've used mine in the water and it works fine. good luck!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The Polar FT 4 and the 7 didn't give me accurate readings on laps and seem to be very unreliable. I checked a review website ( dc rainmaker.com) and after reading many reviews I decided to go for a more expensive Polar and NEVER regretted it . It's the RCX5 which is also suitable for triathletes. I am not a triathlete but use my watch for running(mostly), biking and swimming.
    The strap has to be VERY tight otherwise it loses contact with the skin.