20 Calorie Thai Iced Tea

Options
ligytha
ligytha Posts: 130
I love love love Thai iced tea. I've been making it this way for most of the summer now so I think I have worked out the kinks. Real Thai iced tea uses sweetened condensed milk mixed with cream or whole evaporated milk. The former yields a sweeter tea due to the extra sugar and is what I like, so that is what you get :tongue: Some US places use half-and half. You could also use coffee-mate, probably.

Need:
Thai blend tea (see below for substitute if you can't find this)
1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon splenda
Splenda to taste to sweeten tea

Thai blend tea substitute:
2 cups loose leaf black tea
6 Star anise, ground (not regular anise)
2 teaspoons dried orange flowers (substitute dried orange peel or half as much fresh zest)
2 teaspoons powdered vanilla
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 pinch clove
1 pinch cinnamon

1. Brew tea to get 32 cups. This will take about 2/3 of a cup of tea leaves.
2. Let steep for 4-5 minutes
3. Put in fridge to let cool
4. Put evaporated milk and splenda in a small saucepan. Let heat until splends dissolves and the mixture is slightly thickened to a thin syrup. You can also do this in a microwave.
5. Let sweetened condensed milk substitute mixture cool.
6. Once tea is chilled, pour 2 cups into tall glasses and sweeten with 1-2 teaspoons of splenda.
7. Add ice if desired
8. Pour 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk substitute mixture on top. It may sink. This is ok.
9. Blend and drink!

Servings 16
2 cups tea per serving
16 Servings

Amount Per Serving
Calories 20.0
Total Fat 0.1 g
Saturated Fat 0.0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 0.6 mg
Sodium 18.7 mg
Potassium 161.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 1.3 g
Vitamin A 1.3 %
Vitamin B-12 0.6 %
Vitamin B-6 0.6 %
Vitamin C 0.6 %
Vitamin D 3.2 %
Vitamin E 0.0 %
Calcium 5.1 %
Copper 2.3 %
Folate 6.3 %
Iron 1.6 %
Magnesium 2.5 %
Manganese 55.0 %
Niacin 0.2 %
Pantothenic Acid 1.7 %
Phosphorus 3.8 %
Riboflavin 6.9 %
Selenium 0.6 %
Thiamin 0.6 %
Zinc 1.5 %

Replies

• ligytha
    Options
    I love love love Thai iced tea. I've been making it this way for most of the summer now so I think I have worked out the kinks. Real Thai iced tea uses sweetened condensed milk mixed with cream or whole evaporated milk. The former yields a sweeter tea due to the extra sugar and is what I like, so that is what you get :tongue: Some US places use half-and half. You could also use coffee-mate, probably.

Need:
    Thai blend tea (see below for substitute if you can't find this)
    1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
    1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon splenda
    Splenda to taste to sweeten tea

Thai blend tea substitute:
    2 cups loose leaf black tea
    6 Star anise, ground (not regular anise)
    2 teaspoons dried orange flowers (substitute dried orange peel or half as much fresh zest)
    2 teaspoons powdered vanilla
    1 teaspoon cardamom
    1 pinch clove
    1 pinch cinnamon

1. Brew tea to get 32 cups. This will take about 2/3 of a cup of tea leaves.
    2. Let steep for 4-5 minutes
    3. Put in fridge to let cool
    4. Put evaporated milk and splenda in a small saucepan. Let heat until splends dissolves and the mixture is slightly thickened to a thin syrup. You can also do this in a microwave.
    5. Let sweetened condensed milk substitute mixture cool.
    6. Once tea is chilled, pour 2 cups into tall glasses and sweeten with 1-2 teaspoons of splenda.
    7. Add ice if desired
    8. Pour 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk substitute mixture on top. It may sink. This is ok.
    9. Blend and drink!

Servings 16
    2 cups tea per serving
    16 Servings

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 20.0
    Total Fat 0.1 g
    Saturated Fat 0.0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 0.1 g
    Cholesterol 0.6 mg
    Sodium 18.7 mg
    Potassium 161.0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
    Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
    Sugars 1.9 g
    Protein 1.3 g
    Vitamin A 1.3 %
    Vitamin B-12 0.6 %
    Vitamin B-6 0.6 %
    Vitamin C 0.6 %
    Vitamin D 3.2 %
    Vitamin E 0.0 %
    Calcium 5.1 %
    Copper 2.3 %
    Folate 6.3 %
    Iron 1.6 %
    Magnesium 2.5 %
    Manganese 55.0 %
    Niacin 0.2 %
    Pantothenic Acid 1.7 %
    Phosphorus 3.8 %
    Riboflavin 6.9 %
    Selenium 0.6 %
    Thiamin 0.6 %
    Zinc 1.5 %
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This sounds good. You could also use Fat free Half and Half (although this seems like an oxymoron, it does exist) and I think it is Bigelow makes a Thai Tea bag that I brew and use. It is pretty good.
  • ligytha
    Options
    Teavana also makes a Thai tea blend that isn't too bad. I buy it by the pound from a spice shop, but I realise that depending on where you live, the stuff might be hard to find. If you live in the Boston area, check out Christina's Spice & Specialty Foods in Inman Square, Cambridge.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Thai Iced Tea - thanks!

BTW - can you just use non-fat milk? I don't like splenda (so I think I could use agave nectar). Gotta try this out!!

What is the "real" stuff they use in the restaurants, etc.?
  • ligytha
    Options
    The sweetened condensed milk substitute will work with agave nectar.
    In Thailand, they use sweetened condensed milk, sweetened condensed milk mixed with cream, or evaporated milk, often with a little sugar. What your restaurants use will depend on how authentic they are. Evaporated milk is quite common for them I think since it is cheaper than sweetened condensed milk. Sweetened condensed milk is very popular in south-east Asia (they use it like jam on toast!). I'd consider either to be authentic. The sweetened condensed milk gives a little more sweetness and a bit of a tang. (Sweetened condensed milk is just evaporated whole milk with sugar added to it) Half and half, cream coffee-mate, or plain milk doesn't get the taste right and wouldn't be considered authentic.