trying to avoid a plateau...

I don't know if this is sound logic, but I just recently started working out everyday, and I'm trying to avoid a plateau by starting off fairly easy, not doing too much so that when I start to plateau I'll be able to kick it up a notch and not have to kill myself and get burnt out and slack off. Right now I'm just doing the 30DS and trying to go for moderately paced walks, and 20 or so minutes on the stationary bike (longer if I don't manage to get my walk in). I technically *could* push myself harder than I am now, but keeping it somewhat relaxed in the beginning seems to be working, as I am losing weight and inches (slowly but surely).

I guess the question is: should I be working as hard as I can to get a large chunk of weight off initially and hoping I'll develop more stamina to step up my workouts once I hit the dreaded plateau, or is pacing myself in moderation and leaving myself some room for improvement a decent idea? It probably sounds like a silly question, and dependent upon what my body can handle, but I'm curious to know what others have done; if they jumped in full tilt, or if they started off in baby steps, etc, and what worked the best.

For example, I'm on level 1 day 5 on the 30DS, and I probably *could* move to level 2 at this point, but I am reluctant because I want consistent results, not necessarily quick results (both would be nice, but I'd rather have consistency if I can control it).

Replies

• Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    I always give it my all. It's my personality. You will most likely hit a plateau...when that happens you change it up. By change it up you will either be eating more healthy calories or eating more protein or doing a different workout, etc. I don't think there is a way to just avoid a plateau. I have been in one for a while...meaning my scale hasn't moved. But my body is losing fat and gaining muscle so I can't complain. But I still consider it a plateau.

So my completely unprofessional advice...put everything you have into every workout. It's about getting healthy.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I don't think you can really avoid a plateau

you can get more in sync with your body and learn when its time to break or refuel or push harder (what-have-you)....

good luck
  • slow and consistent is so much better than quick and chaotic...I think that as long as you are seeing results the way you are doing things then stick with it...IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT! :)