Carrying over calories?

Options
Today I can eat another 800 calories, because of exercise, but I'm just exhausted and not hungry at all. Tomorrow, I'm going out to lunch and KNOW that I'll eat a lot of delicious, carb-loaded Thai food. SO...should I just go to bed? Can I "save" those calories for tomorrow? Or should I just make something to eat for the sake of the calories, and just exercise again tomorrow to anticipate the ones I'll consume at lunch?

I rarely do this and always eat my exercise calories back so that I have no more than 100 calories left. Help/advice, please?

Replies

• Nataliethin81
    Options
    I wish it worked this way but I'm pretty sure the body doesn't work like this!
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I wish it worked too:)
  • sandman27959
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't eat if I wasn't hungry. I'd just do additional exercise tomorrow. That's my 2 cents...
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's best to consume those extra calories on the day that you work out but I honestly believe if you "carry some over" to tomorrow, it will balance itself out. Who knows? LOL.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    meh i dont think it does any harm to roll cals over once in a while - not a good idea to do it all the time because you risk getting into the habit of over eating or just thinking you can burn it off another day etc. for a one off and a treat why not! :D

the iphone app has weekly averages which i find to be really useful
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    a day every once in a while wont hurt as far as going to far over or under...as a matter of fact its good to "trick" your body into not being comfortable...just dont make it a habit and you will be fine.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I wish it worked this way but I'm pretty sure the body doesn't work like this!

Ah. Knew it.
    Sadface.

@ schnarfo: That's interesting with regard to the iphone app. Maybe there is some method to my madness?

@ Angela: I hope so too!

@ sandman: Sounds very rational. Thanks!
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I think the whole point is to stay under your goal for the week. That's the whole concept behind calorie zig zagging. Some days are higher some lower but you still stay within your weekly goal for calories. I'm doing this right now and it's working so far:)
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    i think that it's ok to carry over, I do it sometimes....for example, I carry backwards. If i eat too much one day, I reduce my calories for the next few days to make up for that splurge.
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    a day every once in a while wont hurt as far as going to far over or under...as a matter of fact its good to "trick" your body into not being comfortable...just dont make it a habit and you will be fine.

I've heard something about this too, the "tricking" your body thing. I just hope it doesn't develop trust issues with me. Haha.

@ alison: Good to know it can work! Thanks!
  • meggiemaye
    meggiemaye Posts: 117
    Options
    I think it's fine to do on a very seldom basis...you're not doing it all the time. We've just invented the 24 hour day, our bodies don't run on a 24-hour clock. If you're still under your weekly calories, you're fine to give yourself that treat this once.
  • dmaciejewski
    dmaciejewski Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat CARBS before a workout and PROTEIN after a workout.

The carbs is for the energy to workout, and the protein builds the muscle while your muscles are healing.
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    i think that it's ok to carry over, I do it sometimes....for example, I carry backwards. If i eat too much one day, I reduce my calories for the next few days to make up for that splurge.

That makes sense too. I've been allowing myself "cheat meals" where I'll still eat rational portions, but of something that I REALLY enjoy (like a burger) and I'm still seeing results. I guess I'm having a backwards cheat day...haha. Thanks for the advice!
  • cheshirechic
    Options
    I think it's fine to do on a very seldom basis...you're not doing it all the time. We've just invented the 24 hour day, our bodies don't run on a 24-hour clock. If you're still under your weekly calories, you're fine to give yourself that treat this once.

Excellent point on the arbitrary nature of time! Makes total sense. Thank you!