Trampoline question

Options
I have a friend looking to do some cardio but he has a hip problem. He thought of getting a trampoline but most have a weight capacity of 300 and he is just under 340.

Anyone over 300 lbs use a trampoline rated for 300 lbs?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies

• jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    What about water aerobics?? I LOVE them!!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion. I did suggest this as well but I suspect he's self-concious at this point so he's trying to come up with some exercises he can do at home to lose some initial weight and then head out to the gym.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I had a trampoline once upon a blue moon and (despite the safety warnings) we would sometimes have 4 or 5 of us jumping - we definitely totalled more than 300lbs and the springs took about 6 years to give out.
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Do they still make the exercise trampolines? My grandmother had one years ago and it seemed pretty sturdy...maybe he could look into finding one of those. I'm not sure what the weight capacity is on one of those but one would think it would be more since its much closer to the ground.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am not a fitness expert by any means, but I would think a trampoline would be tough on the hips, I could be wrong though, swimming would probably be the best on the joints.
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    That's what we've been checking for him. A mini trampoline. You can get a really expensive one that rates over 350 but it's a freakin arm and a leg!

They have more reasonable ones at 100.00 or less but the rating is for 300lbs.

Thanks everyone!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I just found one on Amazon that states it can handle over 300 pounds. It's a bit pricey, but might do the trick.

Needak Mini-trampoline Rebounder R04 non-folding Black for Heavier Users. Supports Weight of Over 300 pounds. 30 Day Money-back Guarantee.
  • 38Gigi38
    Options
    I found a rowing machine that might help him. Has he considered this type of exercise? Here's the web addy at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Stamina-Body-Glider-Rowing-Machine/dp/B000AMUFPS/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1303519517&sr=8-35
  • 38Gigi38
    Options
    I'm posting again :-) I have my grandmother's trampoline from years ago...many many years and I'm over 300 lbs. and I've used it a little bit and it hasn't broke, but on another note, they used to make things a lot more sturdy (and to last) than they do today so I have no idea about the newer ones. Also there are bicycle pedals you can buy and sit in a chair to simulate bike riding and I've seen commercials for a chair exerciser that you move from side to side and back and forth and its supposed to work your abs and back and all that. I'm not sure how expensive they are or if they even work...but it might be worth looking into. Good luck whatever you choose :-)