Mothers Day / Bday Gift help!

Options
Alright ladies, I need some input! Mother's day is May 8 and my mom's birthday is May 5th (and no, my mom's never been a fan of celebrating Cinco de Mayo)! She tried to jokingly convince me that my mothers day gift to her was an $18 hydrangia bush that she bought HERSELF so obviously that can't fly. Anywho, I'm drawin a big blank on gift ideas and I'm hopin the female perspective can jump-start some ideas so I can get her something special. Lol if only i weren't an only child, I would totally bug my sister to figure this out instead.

So, about my mom...
- She works from home but still loves to get dressed up if she's gotta go out for errands, for church, and anytime she has to travel to her company's hq for meetings
- Her go to color is usually black (she likes a clean, fashionable look and always looks like she spends way more on her clothes than she really does)
- She's stocked up on her normal perfume
- Dad has tried the spa day gift idea which never seemed to get used for one reason or another

So far the best thing I've come up with is maybe trying to find some kind of jewelry (she loves those pendant things that can be swapped out on a standard chain necklace etc) and tends to wear more silver, but jewelry is always REALLY subjective so it could be hit or miss. My back up plan is a gift card to Coldwater Creek because she loves their clothes.

So any thoughts? Unfortunately I'm still operating on broke college status so $50 and under would be ideal.

Replies

• missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    cant go wrong with gift cards... always the right size and color!
  • mbowman323
    mbowman323 Posts: 216
    Options
    How about a gift card to a graden center? Sound like she likes plants and that's something that she will always have. Maybe even a tree?? Ohh and look at James Avery for jewlery. Thay have a ton of silver jewlery that;s nice and affordable.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    As the extremely busy mother of two extremely busy grown children, what means more to me than anything is when they make time to spend a day, or even half a day, just visiting. Often we will share a meal, and since we all like to cook, sometimes we even cook together. Last week, my son and his girlfriend came for dinner and then gave me and my husband our first tennis lesson. NOTHING they could have bought in any store would have meant more.
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    i get my mom watches and bracelets for EVEY occasion - by my mom is a watch and bracelet lady. don't think i've ever seen her without one.

does she have a favorite color other than black? a cute silver-and-whatever-color beaded bracelet might be nice. then she can use it as her "accent color" - if she's that kind of dresser.

is there a Sam Moon in your area? most of the stuff they carry is God-awful gaudy, but i've been very pleased and surprised in the past by the great gift items i've found there.

i, personally, don't suggest gift cards, just cuz i know that when i get them, they hang around forever - my husband and i got a sears gift card for our wedding (23 months ago) and still haven't used it.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Brunch!
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    They have these new bracelets where you buy individual beads, based on color, interests, family, all kinds of stuff, whatever you want them to represent...they are AWESOME. Couple different makes of them. You could start one of those for her? Beads, not charms, but same idea. www.brighton.com has some beautiful ones. (I WANT ONE!!!LOL)
  • smedooley
    Options
    Pandora Bracelet! They do have individual beads and they have tons to choose from. Great gift that you can add to for pretty much every occasion!
  • mommymovingmountains
    mommymovingmountains Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    What about a nice necklace or bracelet? A charm bracelet that you can add to? An engraved jewelry box? A nice watch? A colorful coat (swing or trench)? A nice journal and engraved pen with a heartfelt letter from you? An enlarged photo from her past in a nice frame? A new wallet with a photo of you in it (hehe)? A gift certificate to a pottery place or scrapbook place (if she is crafty)? A certificate for house cleaning services? Or if she is more appreciate of acts of service YOU clean her house for her and order in or make her a nice meal? You go out and buy a flat of nice flowers and plant them for her? Good luck! I am sure she will love any gift you give her.
  • RoseRDH
    RoseRDH Posts: 24
    Options
    Do u have access to any pictures of your family and your mom...? I've made my mom a calendar from the Walgreens website (but u can do Shutterfly website too for calendars and other personalized gifts). Each months picture was significant to the holdiay that months or someones birthday and then I added quotes I found on the web regarding a mothers love and/or personal captions. She loved it and cried of course : )
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    idk what your money limit is..but something that might work would be european beadss, they are also known as pandora beads, halia beads troll beads, etc. basically like a charm bracelet but with beads instead of charms.
    you could buy her a bracelet and a bead...and that would leave you open for beads for other gifts down the road. they also work well on necklaces.
    here are some websites to give you an idea, but i know quite a few of the jewellery stores around me carry one brand or another. there are also loads of listings on ebay. my mom and i are both using the beads as 10lb loss markers.
    http://www.trollbeads.com/en-US/USD/
    http://www.chains-and-charms.com/results.cfm?productType=406
    go to ebay and type in european beads
  • jlprovost
    jlprovost Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My mom is a HUGE fan of the personal gifts. I have done things such as buy a picture frame and fill it with lots of fun pictures of the family. Homemade cards are also extra bonus points, they can get sappy but my mom always cries when I go out of my way to make her a card and put some mushy poem in there. If your mom likes to garden then you can never go wrong with a gift card to a local nursery to stock up on spring plants.

Hope that helps!
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Check out Lush.com if your mom is into taking baths at all. I loooove their products and its one of those things you wouldn't usually buy for yourself. They even have some mothers day gift bags already wrapped up.
  • kelsue35
    kelsue35 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    take her to brunch or dinner, get her a nice necklace (even at target you can find nice ones) go to bath and body works and get some lotion or bath stuff or even a body spray, i think they have some nice kits with dif kinds of things together. they even have candles right now 2 for 20$ .. always have some kind of deal going. or get her a nice cardigan sweater

hope this helps some
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    When I was living in the same state as my mom I would go out in the morning Sunday and find the very best frying pan / pot / cooking utensil I could find.

It was hers when she woke up, then I told her to make us breakfast.

In my wacky family, we all enjoyed this. Yes, even my mom. She calls me now and says, "Sarah, I sure could use a new kettle. Mother's day is tomorrow..." :smile:

It's all about your mom and her personality and your relationship with her. Get her something to cherish and say "I can't believe he thought of that!" anything from a memory of the two of you, something she has been wanting for a while, something she can use each and every day. It is hard for me to offer a solid suggestion because I don't know your mom. Just make sure she knows you are thinking about her :happy: