New rules

Options
I just ordered the New Rules of Weight lifting for Women...any devotees out there? I've been lifting for awhile but really want to see some more results so decided to give this shot. If you've followed the plan how long before you were really able to see some changes in your body? Any tips?

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the book on my iPhone a week ago - and have been devouring it!! Makes a lot of sense - and the eating plan and exercises are very similar that what I have been doing with my PT over the past 6 months.....

The biggest thing for me is now to UP the INTENSITY!! I said to my trainer on Tuesday - "I am not a fat, unfit woman anymore" - so we are really going to bring it from now on!! Oh my goodness - I know I will regret those words - but it is the only way to get results!!

I cant find the book anywhere in New Zealand, so just ordered it from Amazon - cant wait to get a real copy I can scribble all over - and make notes!!

Their food / eating plans also looks really good - it is interesting - the calories is a bit (quite a bit) higher than I am used to - for now I am sticking to my 1500 - rather than the 1800 - 1900 the plans in the book has...... but I am starting to add some extra whey protein on the days I work out...
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I completed this program and absolutely loved it. I gained so much strength, improved my body composition, and lost inches. I didn't lose that much weight, but I didnt take on the program with the intention of losing weight. When I was doing it, I was on the Livestrong website and there was an NROLW group and it was so helpful to have that support. Really opened up my eyes to a lot of things.

The first stage was the hardest because it's kind of long and repetitive (I get bored easily) but after that, it was great!

Good luck!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    I constantly hear about this. its a whole program and i hear its tough. plus you need to follow the diet guide to see results. i dont do it, right now i follow a program called HST. i am doing one more round and may try new rules.
  • kimnmia
    kimnmia Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on it right now, just started this week! I'm not expecting super fast results, which is fine. I'm already SEEING results physically and in my clothes, although the scale isn't budging much yet. I'm finding that it's hard to get enough protein, plus it seems like the caloric intake is more than MFP overall (although I could be wrong).
  • kimnmia
    kimnmia Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm also balking at the number of calories that the book suggests we eat, especially on workout days. I wonder how I can possibly lose weight like that? However, they do mention that a low-calorie diet prevents muscle development, even with higher protein, so I have that to consider. On workout days I think I will definitely eat the recommended number of calories, and maybe on the other days I will eat less.

Have you been able to reach the protein suggestions as well? I tried, and it's really hard without consuming a lot of calories! I had 92 grams of protein today and went way over my calorie limit!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I'm also balking at the number of calories that the book suggests we eat, especially on workout days. I wonder how I can possibly lose weight like that? However, they do mention that a low-calorie diet prevents muscle development, even with higher protein, so I have that to consider. On workout days I think I will definitely eat the recommended number of calories, and maybe on the other days I will eat less.

Have you been able to reach the protein suggestions as well? I tried, and it's really hard without consuming a lot of calories! I had 92 grams of protein today and went way over my calorie limit!

I make my protein numbers by eating things like greek yogurt, tuna, chicken, and supplementing with whey protein shakes. I put 1/2 a scoop in my coffe every morning, have another 1/2 a scoop with my second cup...a shake after I lift weights or as an evening snack. Just a couple of suggestions.

Also, I didn't lose a lot of weight with the program but lost inches and gained muscle! Loved it!