Medication and weight loss

natekorpusik
natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
My question is specifically for medications pertaining to mental health disorders (Bi-polar etc....) Some medications included Abilify and resperidol. The medication has caused weight gain and seems to be very hard to get rid of even though the medications have been discontinued (for positive reasons). This person is eating healthy and exercises. How can one defeat the demon of medicated weight gain? Any help would be great. thanks.

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    My question is specifically for medications pertaining to mental health disorders (Bi-polar etc....) Some medications included Abilify and resperidol. The medication has caused weight gain and seems to be very hard to get rid of even though the medications have been discontinued (for positive reasons). This person is eating healthy and exercises. How can one defeat the demon of medicated weight gain? Any help would be great. thanks.

I was on an anti-depressant for several months that made it very difficult to lose weight and very easy to gain. The only thing that worked for me in reversing that was time and putting in a whole lot of effort to boost my metabolism back up (i.e. being as active as possible, eating 5 small meals per day instead of 1-2 large meals). I would consult a doctor if I were you though just to see what he/she says. They will know more about the specifics than anyone else.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    I had this problem when I was prescribed Paxil. I would say that persons best bet might be to talk to their doctor and find a suitable medication that does not cause weight gain. That's what I did.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    it takes being quite a bit stricter i find
  • annieemmons
    annieemmons Posts: 16 Member
    I had similar issues when my birth control was changed a few years ago. I was taken off my tri-cyclic pill (different amounts of hormones each week, which mimics the body's natural cycle) and placed on the monocyclic pill (same amount of hormone all month). I ballooned over the course of 2 years from weighing about 120 lbs to weighing 165 (which at 5'2 is a lot! Size 4-14). When I went off the medication I immediately lost about 10 lbs, but then I was static at that weight for several years. With great effort I dropped an additional 5 lbs, and then again levelled out w/no more weight loss, which caused me to d/c some of my efforts. However, over the last year I've really gotten back into the swing of things and had gotten down to 145 and down to a size 10 before Christmas when I was working out to go on a cruise. After the cruise I went off my exercise and eating routine, and went back up to the 150 lbs/sz 12 with sheer laziness. My husband is now (finally) motivated for weight loss himself for his own reasons, and it has really given me a different outlook on the whole process as well. Instead of feeling that I am alone in this, I am now looking forward to the lifestyle changes we are making together.

The bottom line is that the meds can make people gain weight and make it difficult to loose, but each person is different. In my case stopping switching back to my tricyclic med helped initially, but it didn't take all the weight gain away. Working on it by myself helped some, but it was easy to give up. I think having someone else that is willing to help who has the same goals is the best thing out there.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    I take Geodon for Bipolar Disorder and it keeps weight on me. It's a very similar drug to Abilify. I have to work a little harder to get the weight off which is a little difficult because the Geodon zaps my physical energy. I also have to eat less to lose the weight. I have my goal set at 1350 calories and it's working. I agree it's hard however the drug is a life saver for me. I've been on the drug for 10 years and have gained a lot of weight. But I've also lost weight on it before so it can be done. Good luck!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    I just started taking Lexapro for depression. My doctor said this one usually doesn't cause weight gain. I've actually been losing weight since I'm not just sitting on my couch eating anymore. I have motivation and energy now. I'm a little worried that once it comes into full effect in the coming month that I'll start gaining again though.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    You are really supportive of your fiance. She is lucky to have you! I don't have any advice except to tell you that sometimes fat and happy is much more important than thin and miserable when it comes to mental health issues. Don't give up, but don't let her beat hersef up either. She is beautiful on the inside and regardless of her weight, she will be a beautiful bride. Congratulations to both of you.
  • humblestudent
    humblestudent Posts: 47 Member
    i have been on Abilify for 2+ years and i gained around 20kgs. this is caused a great deal of distress for me and i'm going to finally talk to my doctor about comming off it next month... they say that abilify has the least amount of weight gain but i disagree! i have never ever been this heavy in my whole life, including the times when i was very over weight by my own standards.
This discussion has been closed.