What's wrong with me?

Options
This is weird, but I’m starting to feel uncomfortable with all the compliments thrown my way. I'm involved in many organizations and people are starting to touch my arms, punch my chest and give me too many compliments. I started wearing my Affliction T-shirts and Under Armour gear again but I think I'm going back to covering up. I don’t mind being noticed, but I just don’t want so much attention.

What is wrong with me?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with wanting to maintain your personal space!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with you. I cringe (quite visibly) when people touch me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I would be freaked out by that too. Nothing wrong with you at all!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Okay I wasn't sure if the authour of this was male or female......and I thought....."what, they are punching in the chest.....weird". Now I look at your profile and see you are a guy maybe that isn't as weird maybe it is a guy thing, ha, ha,,,,,I just don't know! I think the compliments are wonderful not too sure about the physical touches though......kind of moves into your personal space and seems inappropriate.
  • ajk828
    ajk828 Posts: 335
    Options
    It's your own personal space dude. There is NOTHING wrong about wanting to protect yourself.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Nothin' wrong, man. It does get overwhelming at times. Especially if they seem to be all up on you and what seems like ridin' your nuts... you kinda just wanna slap 'em. :laugh:
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    My best friend lost over 50 lbs and she was really uncomfortable with the attention she got. She knew people meant well but she just hated being the center of attention. I don't think there is anything wrong with you. I do think once people get used to the changes you've made they'll calm down a little.
  • angieralkey
    angieralkey Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time with it as well. Who would have thought?? I get really uncomfortable when people compliment me or ask me how much I have lost or how. Luckily no one has touched me or I might go off the deep end. I want to wear baggy clothes too but that will totally defeat the purpose of losing weight. I hope in time I get more used to it. Keep your head up and tell people to respect your space
  • Terriwin
    Terriwin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have experienced the same thing. Just this past week, I posted about feeling anxious with all the compliments and fearing I would sabotage my success because of the discomfort of the increasing attention. I don't know why it makes me uncomfortable, but it does. A couple of months ago, I was desperate for someone to notice my efforts, but now that they are, it's too much.

So, I'm working on just saying a simple "thank you" and avoiding extended conversations or attention. However, I must say, I would be incredibly uncomfortable if someone was poking and prodding me as you described.

Best wishes with managing your success!
  • infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just tell people who make well-meaning comments that I appreciate the sentiment and make it clear that they should refrain from commenting in the future.

The odd thing is that people tend to make positive comments when I GAIN weight, not when I lose it. Go figure.
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks to all for your words of encouragement!:smile::smile: :smile: :smile:

I never thought being in shape would make me uncomfortable.:ohwell:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    i hate when people comment on my weight loss. i def can empathize with you