Am I doing enough?

I hope this isn't one of those dumb questions. I really don't know a lot about healthy eating or fitness. I have been walking 5 days a week and then strength training my lower body 2-3 times a week and then strength training upper body on opposite days two times a week. But I just read that you should do cardio 3 days a week and strength training 3 other days a week and rest on the seventh day. I don't want to over do it and get burned out, but I want to make sure I am doing enough too. This is what I am thinking about doing (even though I tend to feel guilty for not doing cardio 5X a week):
Monday: cardio (usually walking or taebo)
Tuesday: lower body strength training (usually a taebo video for lower body)
Wed:cardio
Thurs: upper body strength training (weights and taebo video)
Fri:cardio
Sat: lower body strength training
Sunday:rest

Is this enough or too much? Do I need more cardio? Saturdays are usually pretty busy so I don't know if I will get that extra strength training in but I want to try! Thanks for your help and for not thinking I'm asking a dumb question. :laugh:

Replies

• mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    I hope this isn't one of those dumb questions. I really don't know a lot about healthy eating or fitness. I have been walking 5 days a week and then strength training my lower body 2-3 times a week and then strength training upper body on opposite days two times a week. But I just read that you should do cardio 3 days a week and strength training 3 other days a week and rest on the seventh day. I don't want to over do it and get burned out, but I want to make sure I am doing enough too. This is what I am thinking about doing (even though I tend to feel guilty for not doing cardio 5X a week):
    Monday: cardio (usually walking or taebo)
    Tuesday: lower body strength training (usually a taebo video for lower body)
    Wed:cardio
    Thurs: upper body strength training (weights and taebo video)
    Fri:cardio
    Sat: lower body strength training
    Sunday:rest

Is this enough or too much? Do I need more cardio? Saturdays are usually pretty busy so I don't know if I will get that extra strength training in but I want to try! Thanks for your help and for not thinking I'm asking a dumb question. :laugh:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Greetings mechanicmom...you sure are doing enough...taking a rest day on Saturday would be fine too!

Your Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    mechanicmom

I don't think it is a dumb question. You ask any question you want. Sounds like you have a great routine. Keep it up.
    I mix my cardio and strength training. My husband set up my workout and I also read articles in magazines and mix it up.
    I do Mon-Fri cardio and strength (rotating body parts) and every other Sat, I will swim.
    There are weeks where I get bord with the same routine and I will add in a class or workout with some friends.
    Keep it up. Look on womensfitness.com and read some of there articles. Very helpful.
    Keep it up.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Sounds like you are doing enough, but listen to your body also. You should be able to tell with how you feel if you need to add more cardio to your week.

Me, I do 5-6 days of cardio and 3 days of weight training (with a trainer).
    Here is my schedule:
    Sun: 30-60 min Cardio
    Mon: AM- 30 min cardio/ PM 60 min Weights- all body
    Tues: 30-60 min cardio
    Wed: AM: 30 min cardio/ PM: 60 min weights- Upper
    Thurs: AM: 30 min cardio(sometimes I skip this cardio- depending on how I feel)/ PM: 60 min weight- lower
    Fri or Sat: 30-60 min cardio, then take the other day off.

My trainer has seen my schedule and approves of it, she does nott hink I am over- doing it. But that's me for what I need to do to get back in shape & lose the weight. Each person is different on how much they can handle. The reason I split apart my cardio & workout days is that I have found it easier for me to keep on track. If I try to do cardio either immediately before or after my workout- I don't have enough energy to get through the rest.

SG :glasses:
  • Ohmygod! You are making me feel so awful. I aim to go the gym 4 times a week, but at the moment I only seem to be able to make it once a week and thats to a yoga class which although beneficial is hardly going to burn loads of calories! I just find it so hard to juggle work and looking after my children, dropping them off and picking them up from nursery, I end up so knackered and there just doesn't seem to enough hours in the day.

And now in the run up to Christmas I will have even less time! When I am home with my girls I do try and take them out in the pram for a long walk, pushing two three year olds must burn some calories! Must do better.....maybe a new years resolution in the making!
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Ohmygod! You are making me feel so awful. I aim to go the gym 4 times a week, but at the moment I only seem to be able to make it once a week and thats to a yoga class which although beneficial is hardly going to burn loads of calories! I just find it so hard to juggle work and looking after my children, dropping them off and picking them up from nursery, I end up so knackered and there just doesn't seem to enough hours in the day.

And now in the run up to Christmas I will have even less time! When I am home with my girls I do try and take them out in the pram for a long walk, pushing two three year olds must burn some calories! Must do better.....maybe a new years resolution in the making!

Don't feel bad. I'm single, so I have plenty of free time before & after work. I've just made working out a priority right now for me at this time. Since I have no other commitments, it's easy for me to do right now, though there are many times I don't feel like getting up early, and I have missed going a time or two.
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,694 Member
    Yes, don't feel bad Lovelygirls. I am a stay at home mom, with a two year old boy and a messy house! I am a pretty lazy person, so I HAVE to make myself work out. I don't know how moms do it with children and having to work! I don't think I could! Kudos to you!
  • I guess I just have to try and make it a priority, and put myself first more often. I think as a woman its easy to end up putting everyone elses needs before your own!

Thanks for your support! :happy:
  • PS We have a VERY messy house!!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    This is a perfect example of a GREAT question. I was thinking just this question last night! Thanks for giving me ideas. I just never know what to do at the gym - first time gym membership on Oct. 8 of this year.

Although I did hire a trainer - I don't even know what to ask her.

All the knowledge on these boards is priceless, and PLEASE keep asking questions.

Cheryl
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Yes you are, and when you are at a plateau or ready for more you will do it!

The fact that you are working out pretty much daily is a wonderful thing and you will see results!

Keep it up