Eating clean

Options
becka63
becka63 Posts: 712 Member
I might be a little thick here, but I keep reading about 'eating clean', and whilst I think I understand it to mean cutting out processed foods, is there anything else I'm missing?

Many thanks :smile:

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    cutting processed foods, added sodium and preservatives, if you cant kill it or grow it, dont eat it...simple!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    You'll find that people have different ideas about what eating clean is, for some it means eating non-processed foods with no additives, for others it's not clean unless it's pesticide and hormone free. Still others say if the chickens weren't free-range and the cows weren't pasture fed it's not clean.

I respect that way of shopping and eating. I fall in the first part of the above list and I'm edging toward all organic for dairy and proteins. I won't eat farm raised fish, but I live in the south where cheap chicken abounds. It's hard to pay $8-$12 a pound for chicken when you can buy it for a couple of dollars at the megamart.

One highly processed food that is a regular part of my week is Clif Builders bars. So clearly, my ideals only go so far. :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying I agree with it, but here's an interesting article about it..

http://jcdfitness.com/clean-eating/
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Here is a great site that will give you a good overview and some great recipes.

thegraciouspantry.com
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and links - I'll look at them when the sun isn't shining as nicely! But some interesting points in your comment.s