Who is your Health Hearo?

Options
I think it's only human nature that we look to others who embody the character traits we wish to attain. It could be a family member, friend or celebrity, even a co-worker, I was going through several journals from college that focused on my struggle with anorexia. As I read I realized what an impact a television character had on my recovery, specifically Lois Lane from the 90s "Lois and Clark" series. Here was an attractive, fit woman who talked about going to the gym AND eating chocolate. It was so beneficial to my recovery to see someone so balanced. So my question is, is this normal? Who has been your get healthy inspiration?

Replies

• dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    My heroes are the friends I have here on MFP - some have lost 50, 80, 150, 190 pounds and those that are with me working towards those goals.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Welllll...I have a LOT of health heroes, lol. But my biggest one is probably my aunt. She's the one who (when we see each other, which isn't often because unfortunately she lives 5 hours away :'( ) feeds me HEALTHY foods and goes walking/to the gym with me. She's over 40 and looks like she's 30--her skin is healthy and her body is obviously in shape for the long haul. And she's about my height! So I really look to her for motivation and support :)
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    As I get older I realize how short life is. Really short. When I started to have Grand Children I started thinking about being there for different milestones in their lives, Birthdays, School Plays, Proms, Graduations, Weddings. I'm trying to be there for as many as I can.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Linda Hamilton in Terminator.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Definitely my friends on MFP
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    My mother. She has never really been much over weight, but 15 years ago she was really unhealthy and felt like crud, and she changed her life. Now she is not only the healthiest 60 year old I know (who doesn't look or act 60 by any means) but she may just be the healthiest person I know all together. And she had the courage to apologize to me for feeding me a diet that led to my childhood obesisty (though, I don't blame her- she THOUGHT what she was doing at the time for us was healthy). She helped encourage me throughout my weight-loss and my health revolution. She can be a little pushy and zealous about her diet views, but it's because she's passionate. She really is amazing.

And Gary Taubes. He's my literary health hero.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Team Hoyt. Their story inspired me to get out the door, start running, and get in shape.
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    From looking at your pic - you kind of resemble her :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Haha, high five!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Actually, the famous person I could consider a health hero would have to be Jamie Oliver!