depression and food

joannajohnsonrn
joannajohnsonrn Posts: 36 Member
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
This is a really interesting article I found on the Dr Weil website!
http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400895/Can-Junk-Food-Cause-Depression.html

I never knew there was an actual link between these two things, but it is not surprising.
Just thought I would share :)

*****Some evidence does suggest that the trans-fats and saturated fats in some junk foods increase the risk of depression. The latest findings on this topic come from Spanish researchers who followed the diet and lifestyle of more than 12,000 men and women for six years. At the outset, none of the participants had been diagnosed with depression, but at the study's end, 657 were found to be depressed.
The investigators reported that participants with an elevated consumption of trans-fats found in commercially produced baked goods and fast foods had up to a 48 percent increase in the risk of depression compared to participants who didn't eat these foods. The researchers also found that those participants whose diets contained more olive oil and fish were at lower risk of depression.
All told, the Spanish team suggested that the increased incidence in depression seen in recent years results from "radical changes in the source of fats consumed in Western diets." They noted that the risk of depression increased in the study for participants who consumed junk foods even though the actual intake of trans-fats made up only 0.4 percent of total calories of those who ate the most of these foods. The study was published on Jan. 26, 2010 in the online journal PLoS ONE.
This wasn't the first report of a relationship between junk food and depression. In 2009 British researchers published a study involving nearly 3,500 middle aged men and women. They reported that after five years, participants who ate a diet high in processed meat, chocolates, sweet desserts, fried food, refined cereals and high-fat dairy products were 58 percent more likely to be depressed than those whose diets were composed mainly of fruit, vegetables and fish. The study was published in the November 2009 issue of The British Journal of Psychiatry.
Andrew Weil, M.D.******i**

Thanks Dr Weil for the insight!

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Wow, that doesn't surprise me. Processed food is the most enticing, but it's also bad for us. Of course, the addiction to junk food might also eventually lead to Type 2 Diabetes. My uncle was in his mid-50s when he was diagnosed with it. And one of my aunts was also diagnosed with it and she's only 51.
  • mrogers52
    mrogers52 Posts: 378 Member
    Thanks for sharing this! I have always suspected this and know that I feel worse when I eat that kind of food.:smile:
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Great post, sister! I have to say...that since I've been using MFP and avoiding junk food, I rarely have bouts of depression anymore. I can definitely see a correlation between the two.
This discussion has been closed.