Food Diary

Options
So you mean to tell me that the majority of you all log in every piece of food you put in your mouth daily. Even that "1" potatoe chip or small bite of a cookie. Or the 5 fries from mcdonalds? I was just wondering... And if your diary is an accurate account of how you all eat then YOU GUYS ARE FRIGGIN AMAZING!!!! I take my hat off and raise my glass to you!!!:drinker:

Replies

• amberlineilene
    Options
    I tend to log everything in because I have the app on my phone, and it's with me everywhere I go
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I do log each little bite. Those bites add up to major calories and probably part of the reason I am here in the first place!!
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything, half a frosted sugar cookie included. If I'm going to accomplish my goals, I want to know exactly what I'm eating. If I have a slow day or a day of poor performance, I can go back and look at my diary and hopefully identify a problem area. I can make effective change in my life when I'm honest with myself. I also like keeping my diary public to show others that a an active lifestyle demands a lot of food! Calories aren't something to be afraid of, they're the energy you need to do the things you want to do in your life!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I tend to log everything in because I have the app on my phone, and it's with me everywhere I go

I find that the phone app makes it a lot easier because then I don't have to try and remember it all day or make myself notes or anything. I do log absolutely everything, though. Until you understand how many calories you're actually consuming, how can you know how to offset them? Even the little things add up...
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    The fact that I don't want to bother logging the one potato chip is kind of a deterrent from eating it. Yeah, I'm *that* lazy. :-D

On the other hand, I never log my coffee or tea (I drink them both black but I think there's still a couple calories per cup). Sometimes I don't log that 1/2 tsp of bacon grease I put on my potato before microwaving it, but those are the days where half of the bread crumbs I logged to put on my baked fish never made it to my mouth. Not a great practice if I were trying to be diligent about how much I'm eating of fat cals and carb cals...but pretty good for overall cals. :-D
  • oscelyn
    oscelyn Posts: 54
    Options
    Yes. Weigh and measure everything!
  • LadyT02182011
    Options
    Yes ma'am! Every single thing! I also weigh and measure everything as well!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I do log each little bite. Those bites add up to major calories and probably part of the reason I am here in the first place!!

Amen! Same here for me!
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    The fact that I don't want to bother logging the one potato chip is kind of a deterrent from eating it. Yeah, I'm *that* lazy. :-D

Me too - it's actually a good deterrent strategy!
  • lyn267
    lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Yep - log it all. It really becomes a habit rather quickly. It also keeps you from grazing. I actually try and plan out what I will eat in the morning. That way I know what wiggle room I have. And it makes me get my exercise in if I know I'm going out or plan to comsume more food. I know, I obsessed. I think you have to have an obsessive personality to use this site. But I have the time to do this. Some people are too busy to plan ahead like I do.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    lol, I agree with some of the others. Most of the time I log what I'm going to eat before I eat it. There's a good number of times that I look at stats on it and think to myself "nope, no one available to dress up like a zombie and chase me around the parking lot for two hours, guess I shouldn't eat that", lol. It's so helpful in making better food choices. My daughter wanted those mini bunny marshmallows that they sell this time of year. I looked at the bag yesterday thinking I could just have a serving and log it. For one serving (15 bunnies) it's 100cals. Now, 100 cals doesn't seem terrible, but then I thought about how it's not really going to make me feel satisfied for very long, and I'll end up being hungry in like half an hour. For those same 100 cals, I went through my fridge to see what else I could have, and ended up going with two Clementines (which is only 80 cals) which were more volume, better for me, and still satisfied the want for something sweet.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Yep... I log everything with calories. In fact, this morning I logged a quarter piece of bacon (20 calories) and a tablespoon of lowfat milk (8 calories). I think the little bits add up quickly!

Although, Tameka... not logging every little thing looks like it's working perfectly for you. You look GREAT and have lost so much weight! :-)
  • Nikki2Fit
    Nikki2Fit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use the phone app which definately helps me to keep up with what goes in. Also, I dont preplan dinner this way if I have a weak moment during the day and eat a few chips or one of the lil ones chicken nuggets I can adjust dinner to compensate. Honestly, I feel better knowing exactly what I put in.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yep - log it all. It really becomes a habit rather quickly. It also keeps you from grazing. I actually try and plan out what I will eat in the morning. That way I know what wiggle room I have.

I pretty much have the same things for breakfast and lunch so I log those in first thing in the morning, that way I'll know how many calories I have to play around with for dinner. For instance, yesterday morning after I logged in my breakfast and lunch I had just over 700 net calories left over. I was feeling like some pizza for dinner, so I knew if I passed on an afternoon snack that I could have my 2 slices and beer and still stay in my limit.

I don't have a smart phone to use the app, but I carry around a pocket-sized pad with me to write down what I eat if I go out. Some people might think that's being anal about it, but with 9 lbs. lost in 6 1/2 weeks the numbers speak for themselves.
  • LJV1031
    LJV1031 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    LOL... I log everything, most sugarless gums are 5 calories or less... a SINGLE Mentos is TEN calories!!! I'm just anal like that. :ohwell:
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    @ Donicagalek You have done GREAT!!!!!!! and i take my hat off to you:flowerforyou: (on that note) i log all my foods also because i want to be committed to myself i learned from a saying in weight watchers " If You Bite It Write It":wink:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Last Saturday I was at a happy hour with friends and just took a few nibbles off the plates they ordered for the table. So yeah, my diary for last Saturday has listings for one fry, two rings of fried calamari and one clam. lol

I logged the two pieces of asparagus I ate at Passover Monday. And the 1/4 of a piece of a dark chocolate Dove Promise I had on Tuesday.

The only thing I have stopped logging 100% of is some of my spices. But everything else, I log it either the moment I eat it, or, more typically, before I eat it, to make sure it doesn't do anything screwy to my log/nutritionals for the day.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i log everything that i can, but i eat reasonably healthy in general, so if i forget something, it's often not a big deal.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes ma'am! Every single thing! I also weigh and measure everything as well!

Same here. And if I eat out (which I do rarely) I really do my best to log it properly.

Don't forget beverages--any that have calories also count.
  • AquaAura
    AquaAura Posts: 105
    Options
    I didn't the first couple of weeks and those weeks where I had a few days without being completely honest I didn't loose ... I learnt very quickly that it pays to log everything !!!!! yay for ph app though!!

I watched a docco on weight loss and apparently when keeping a food dairy most of us will forget or neglet to add up to 50% of what we eat over a day and hence why we have so much trouble with weight loss...